Data usage?

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
I'm using Verizon, and I'm in a situation where I do not have internet access otherwise, so I either use my phone, or the hot spot. So the questions, when I am using my tablet on the hot spot, does it use more data than if I'm doing the same things on the phone itself? Second question, if a page is open on my computer, does it use data while I am just sitting there reading it?

I'm using Verizon, and I'm in a situation where I do not have internet access otherwise, so I either use my phone, or the hot spot. So the questions, when I am using my tablet on the hot spot, does it use more data than if I'm doing the same things on the phone itself? Second question, if a page is open on my computer, does it use data while I am just sitting there reading it?

if they are *really* doing the same thing, then the usage will be the same.

however, odds are nearly 100% that the computer will having apps running in the background doing other stuff also. so the usage will be modestly higher. wouldn't stop me from taking that route though.

while you are reading a page it's unlikely, but possible, that data will be loading in the background. if you are on a news site then the odds go up dramatically as so many of them now presume that I want to watch a video of the story, and videos take a lot of bandwidth.

I'm in the same situation make sure you actually close browsers when done especially social media ones as they update continually.

OK, thanks for the responses. I'm actually talking about when I'm working in a hanger, and I'm accessing sites, it is easier to see them on the tablet, than on the little phone screen. Also, I want to keep the page open, so that I can come back to it periodically for reference, without closing it down, then having to access it again, so that is why I ask.

A tablet? iPads allow you to turn off apps refreshing in the background. no idea about the other tablets but my I devices are all set to block apps in the background.

Just viewing web pages, without videos on them, will amount to very little bandwidth or bytes. Your data hogs will be videos, program updates, or downloading/viewing large email attachments. With "normal" aviation-type activity, my tablet uses maybe 200-500 megs per month.

Back