Data Execution Prevention

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Microsoft has gone and done it again. sigh.
Must be a new update, because i just started getting this message. At first i thought i had a virus, or spyware problem. So i reformated the HD and reinstlled windows. As soon as i was up and running, Microsoft downloads updates, and BAM! same damn problem. Seems Data Execution Prevention
or DEP
for short, shuts down whatever program I am using. happened all the time with windows explorer. DUH! this is your friggin program Microsoft!! so i have to go in and change the new DEP settings for certain programs in order to work. What a crock of #$%!
When are you programmers going to make all your programs available for linux!!??

Edit:
It took some work, but changing the boot.ini setting will turn off this stupid feature. Im sure it has its uses, but seems pretty damn annoying to me.

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
I don't know why y'all keep doing this to yourselves. Make your computer work for you again, not the other way around:

http://www.apple.com/switch/

Kent, what flight planning program do you use? Are any of the mainstream flight planners available on the Mac (Flightstar, Flitesoft, Destination Direct)?

Henning said:
Is it gonna work better than their prior forays into supporting Windows programming?

The difference is that this time it's not really Apple doing anything - Except, of course, for making the big switch to Intel chips. Your question is akin to asking about Microsoft support for Linux. :rofl:

There have been many attempts to make PC stuff run on Macs, some more successful than others. Both software and hardware. Orange Micro cards, the old "Centris 610-DOS Compatible" (which was really the only one that Apple did themselves), some old software emulation, and now Virtual PC (now owned by Microsoft themselves... Hmm.)

All of them worked, albeit either slowly (software) or flipping your monitor between what was effectively two computers (hardware). Virtual PC works quite well for almost anything except games.

lancefisher said:
Kent, what flight planning program do you use? Are any of the mainstream flight planners available on the Mac (Flightstar, Flitesoft, Destination Direct)?

All of the above could be used under Virtual PC, but I don't use any of them. I just don't like the principle of using VPC at all... I own a MAC dammit! I have used VPC for the Garmin simulator, and for some engineering software.

So, right now I'm using the good old-fashioned brain, pencil and paper, and manual E6B. My CFII wouldn't let me use the computer if I had the software anyway. :no:

However, flight planning is something that's best done by computer, and it kinda ticks me off that none of the big flight planners have an OS X version. So, I'm going to write one myself. I've been waiting for Cocoa (OS X API) to have some sort of database libraries, and now with 10.4 they've introduced Core Data which is exactly what I needed.

Anyone who wants to invest in the project, let me know... Otherwise it'll likely be a couple of years to complete. The feature set is already so vast that I have the first three major versions (1.0, 2.0, 3.0) planned out. The big thing will be the user interface - Imagine if flight planning was as easy as iTunes!

Last edited:
Henning said:
Is it gonna work better than their prior forays into supporting Windows programming?

You will be able to install (a $200 legal full version, of course) copy of Windows on an Intel Mac like any other PC. As far as Windows is going to be concerned it'll be an Intel PC with some typical hardware. Microsoft hasn't made any noise about stopping that and as far as anybody knows has no reason to.

It's going the other way, putting Apple Mac OS X for Intel on any Intel PC that Apple is going to TRY to make not work. So far they haven't been very successful in blocking running of the beta versions, but most of the hacks involve running some form of virtual hardware which is not what you want.

We can figure that there will be some third-party utilities to allow running OS X and Windows at the same time, rather than having to dual-boot. That is supposed to be possible.

Solutions available up to now, like Virtual PC for the Mac emulate an Intel PC strictly in the OS X O/S running on the Power PC chip. It works amazingly well compatibililty-wise. You can imagine it requires the computer do nearly double the work so it's slow.

Back