Dash Cams

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Who here is running a dash cam all the time and what models do you like?

Just watched (and heard) two cars whack each other in traffic at a stop light and then saw one of them take off. I'm sure to avoid insurance claims.

Seems like folks simply aren't honest anymore about this crap, so dash cams are probably the way to go in the "me" society.

Which ones do y'all like?

Enjoying sitting here in the parking lot next to the road listening to everyone else run over whatever crap fell off of the car that hit the other one.

They both took off now. I guess the guy who got hit didn't care or whatever.

I did not have high hopes, but wanted something temporary for a project I was doing. When I found it was called a "Pilot" I figured it was some kind of sign from the airplane gods. hehe :)

Anyways, it ended up working great and for <$50! Pilot Automotive Dash Cam

I'm sure any of those cameras would work just fine. Also, have super duper HD quality isn't necessary, since all you're trying to show from the video is which party caused the accident. My only suggestion (from personal experience) would be to opt for a recording device that has cameras facing both front and rear. Early February I was involved in a collision in which I was rear ended, and the CHP found me at fault (preliminary). I was able to disprove it though lots and lots of explanations, but it would have been great to just show a video and say that I was the one that was hit.

I bought two cheap $20 dashcams off Amazon and got also 16-GB SD cards for them (another $10 or so). One is in the wife's car, one in mine.
So far I have not needed one but I expect that it will save me a huge headache should somebody cause a collision and run (or lie).

... So far I have not needed one but I expect that it will save me a huge headache should somebody cause a collision and run (or lie).
Or just remember it differently. Accidents happen because someone missed something. Everyone's memory of an event has variations. The camera provides an independent point of view.

I use AutoGuard on my Android phone, I have it start up automatically when it connects to the bluetooth in my car. It's just $3.00 and I've been pretty happy with it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hovans.autoguard&hl=en

I've been doing some contract work recently that involves smart phones. The hardware isn't the focus of what I'm looking at, but I've noticed incidentally that dash cam and navigation apps really, really heat up the phones' processors and batteries. I'm talking temperatures in excess of 60 C, in which range which most phones start throttling themselves down to cool off. I can't help but suspect that repeatedly running a phone that close to its heat limit is likely to shorten its life.

In fact, my dedicated Garmin Nuvi is starting to show signs of age, and I was considering just using one of the phone apps rather than replacing the dedicated unit. But once I looked at how hot phones get while doing navigation or dash cam duty, I decided to just replace the dedicated GPS when it bites the dust. Even with lifetime maps and traffic, GPS units are much cheaper than medium- or higher-end phones.

Basic dash cams are even cheaper than GPS units, and basic is all you really need. Too much information being recorded by a dash cam (speed, for example) may just hurt you more than help you in court. I use the same el-cheapo one that Shane uses, and it works just fine.

My personal opinion is that it doesn't make sense to risk shortening the life of a high-end phone to avoid buying a GPS or dash cam whose cost is one-fifth (or less) that of the phone. I'd rather just buy the separate devices and spare the phone the extra work.

Rich

My work truck has DriveCam in it. Always on and records if an "event" triggers it. Hard braking, sharp turns, etc generate that event. It also has buttons that can be pressed to grab a video. It picks up the 8 seconds prior to the event and 4 seconds after. Actually pondering one for the personal cars.

I may disagree with the HD vs non, since in a hit and run you want the plate.

Most of these seem to mount looking forward which will catch drivers that come into a lane or run a side street light but mostly will just record you hitting someone else. Ha.

What's out there that watches for the common problem of being rear-ended? Those have been by far the most accidents we've logged over the years. Karen was rear-ended six times in seven years when she drove a dark green car, and we swore off that color forever after that.

Most of these seem to mount looking forward which will catch drivers that come into a lane or run a side street light but mostly will just record you hitting someone else. Ha.

What's out there that watches for the common problem of being rear-ended? Those have been by far the most accidents we've logged over the years. Karen was rear-ended six times in seven years when she drove a dark green car, and we swore off that color forever after that.
I've seen several different cameras available on amazon that have two separate cameras. Some have one facing front and the other back, others have both cameras on a pivot that can be rotated to face several different directions.

Just a quick example. Though there are better options out there. I remember my uncle having a pretty good one. For the life of me, cant remember what its called. I'll check with him, though.

I've seen several different cameras available on amazon that have two separate cameras. Some have one facing front and the other back, others have both cameras on a pivot that can be rotated to face several different directions.

Just a quick example. Though there are better options out there. I remember my uncle having a pretty good one. For the life of me, cant remember what its called. I'll check with him, though.

I've seen those also, but also can't see all that well out of the back of the vehicle from the rear view in some vehicles. Was thinking a remote mount rear camera if those exist.

I'm also surprised with the proliferation of backup cameras installed for safety regs in modern cars and sometimes forward cameras for lane warning systems and what not, that some manufacturer hasn't already touted their new "automated collision video capture system". In many vehicles the cameras are already there. Might as well use them. Pop an SD card into a slot in the dash and leave it until the collision. Many vehicles already capture and retain the accelerometer data and braking system data in collisions anyway, so the trigger software is already there also.

So I don't use a dash cam in the car, but I always run a Contour Roam +2 on my helmet when I'm on the motorcycle. The helmet mount sees generally what I see with a wide angle - and there are a lot of jerks out there that like to harass bikers (and unfortunately vice versa ).

One plus is that this cam easy mounts to my David Clarks for airplane duty, however without com audio.

In both cases I find it great for critiquing my own performance vs tracking others'.

Dash cams first became popular in Russia due to a kind of staged accident known as the "swoop and squat," in which a driver cuts off another vehicle and then hits the brakes to cause himself to be rear-ended by the other driver. Because drivers who rear-end other drivers are always presumed to be at fault, it's a difficult thing to defend yourself against without a camera. That's why the front-facing cameras came out first. They were to defend against this specific type of fraudulent, staged accident.

If I ever get the ambition, I might install front and rear cameras. I might also install a rear-facing monitor that allows the tailgater behind me to see himself on video. I noticed a whole ****load of tailgaters on the road today, it being the weekend of the first wave of tourists. They come up here to get away from the city, but they bring the city with them. This week were the fishermen, next week will be the college professors, the following week the elementary and high school teachers, and everyone else during the weeks that follow. And almost all of them tailgate. It's a habit one develops from driving in bumper-to-bumper downstate traffic.

What they don't get is that the relative safety afforded by our sparse traffic is offset by the constant risk of having to suddenly brake to avoid suicidal deer, bear cubs, turkeys, and geese. (Anything smaller typically gets run over without so much as a shrug.) Almost all rear-end collisions up here are the result of someone having to brake to avoid wildlife, and then getting rear-ended by some idiot who was tailgating. And 99 times out of a hundred, the idiot tailgater was a tourist.

Rich

Dash cams first became popular in Russia due to a kind of staged accident known as the "swoop and squat," in which a driver cuts off another vehicle and then hits the brakes to cause himself to be rear-ended by the other driver. Because drivers who rear-end other drivers are always presumed to be at fault, it's a difficult thing to defend yourself against without a camera. That's why the front-facing cameras came out first. They were to defend against this specific type of fraudulent, staged accident.

If I ever get the ambition, I might install front and rear cameras. I might also install a rear-facing monitor that allows the tailgater behind me to see himself on video. I noticed a whole ****load of tailgaters on the road today, it being the weekend of the first wave of tourists. They come up here to get away from the city, but they bring the city with them. This week were the fishermen, next week will be the college professors, the following week the elementary and high school teachers, and everyone else during the weeks that follow. And almost all of them tailgate. It's a habit one develops from driving in bumper-to-bumper downstate traffic.

What they don't get is that the relative safety afforded by our sparse traffic is offset by the constant risk of having to suddenly brake to avoid suicidal deer, bear cubs, and turkeys. (Anything smaller typically gets run over without so much as a shrug.) Almost all rear-end collisions up here are the result of someone having to stop to avoid wildlife and getting rear-ended by some idiot who was tailgating. And 99 times out of a hundred, the idiot tailgater was a tourist.

Rich

I was involved in an accident where an elderly lady nearly took the front off of my Jeep after running a red light.

(She was well over 70 and driving at night in the rain in Downtown Denver rush hour traffic to pick up her son, an attorney, who had lost his driver's license for multiple DUI, I later learned, but I digress.)

As far as the Denver PD was concerned, she was at fault, mostly because she hit and ran, which is always weighed heavily against someone.

But... The insurance company gave me all SORTS of crap for months trying to make it my fault. I had to pull dispatch tapes and write all sorts of letters explaining what they claimed happened simply wasn't possible. They kept telling me the little old lady said it happened differently and she ran because she was "scared", and the police report didn't matter and blah blah blah just enough to keep me constantly ****ed at them for three months. Which gave me motivation to screw with them, since I knew they were listening to the coached speeches her attorney/son was feeding her to keep their insurance rates down.

I guess I finally ran the investigator out of options and they finally told me begrudgingly that we were both insured by the same company, so it'd be handled as no-fault (what a joke that is!) and we'd both have rate increases.

There were also babblings of dear old mom (who got out of the car and who I chased for twelve blocks and ended up talking directly to DUI boy about her knocking the front bumper clean off my Jeep while waiting for DPD, before they got in the car and sped off) about possible injuries and blah blah blah, just to scare the insurance company into closing the whole thing up quickly.

My last letter "thanking" the investigator was to detail that I was sure that DUI-boy had coached mom very well, and the insurance company and her and her son deserved each other. I cancelled the policy the week after it was finalized and I'd never do business with them again.

Back then, cameras weren't cheap nor easy to use. But I'd have loved to have had one. Three months of Bravo Sierra in the mail and on the phone.

So it ain't just Russia where that crap happens.

Tailgaters make me insane too. Same reasons. No tourists out here though, just crazy neighbors who think they're going to get somewhere faster by speeding.

Saw one of them rolled over in the ditch on the way home today. Also saw the local volunteer FD ambulance headed to the nearest ER.

Ended up having a private text message session with the paramedic who treated the driver. She lost it during a hailstorm by not slowing down on the new $2.3M dollar 4 mile road.

I'm not heartless. I stopped and talked to what turned out to be her friend's dad who was parked on the other side of the road from the rolled Jeep. He said she was okay, and was in the ambulance I had just passed, and he was waiting on the Sheriff. I was glad she was ok.

But I'm sure she was driving too fast for conditions. It was a big standard thunderstorm plus gravel sized hail. No reason to end up in a ditch upside down over that. Slow the hell down.

Buddy said its a pain to text from the back of an ambulance -- they were on their way back to the station. He was all excited when he saw my FB post that I'd seen the rolled vehicle because he thought I might have been witness to exactly how she did it.

I said sorry, nope... I was there after you guys but before the Sheriff so I stopped to see if I could help. Didn't know they were already out of the vehicle at that point. :)

He said he had to go clean up the bus. I'll see him next week at an event we are both going to. He said the really bad accidents are happening north of the golf club on the dirt road up there -- I'm going to guess alcohol is involved, but of course he can't say.

Ha. Small town stuff is definitely interesting. Texting the ambulance guy of a rollover near the house. Who'd have thought I'd be doing that today? LOL.

Just another note about phone apps...

During my testing, I found that Sygic seemed to heat up the phone least. It also is a very decent navigation application. If I were going to use a phone-based navigation app, it probably would be Sygic. I also like that they provide a free trial, unlike some others. The lifetime licenses are also very reasonable, especially considering that they use TomTom basemaps.

Sygic does require all kinds of permissions and collects a lot of data, but it all seems legit, by which I mean that nothing is collected that doesn't seem necessary for the software to perform its intended functions. The privacy policy is better than most (and certainly better than Google's). But if you're really paranoid, then you probably shouldn't use Sygic or any phone-based navigation app. Buy a freestanding device with no telemetry capabilities and be done with it.

I only mention this here because one of the Sygic features is an integrated dash cam. If you're into using your phone for everything under the sun, this app kills two birds with one stone. It's also the only way that I could get both a dash cam and a nav app to work at the same time without cooking the processor. It did get hot, but no where near as hot as using other app combinations.

Rich

I have one cheap Chinese cam in my truck (and an identical one in the wife's car) and a different cheap Chinese cam in my work truck, they work fine most of the time and were cheap enough to simply toss when they stop working. When they start acting up the solution is to just format the SD card, it took a bit of experimentation to figure out that solution. I'm thinking about getting a couple more for rear-facing. I'll just use a mini-USB cable from each ran to a dual port 12v plug.

I have one cheap Chinese cam in my truck (and an identical one in the wife's car) and a different cheap Chinese cam in my work truck, they work fine most of the time and were cheap enough to simply toss when they stop working. When they start acting up the solution is to just format the SD card, it took a bit of experimentation to figure out that solution. I'm thinking about getting a couple more for rear-facing. I'll just use a mini-USB cable from each ran to a dual port 12v plug.

I guess that's a practical way to do it. Just run two cheapies.

Gotta be careful what you buy though, when i was doing my research on the one i bought i find out there is an even cheaper knock-off version.....of the cheap Chinese product i bought, go figure.

Gotta be careful what you buy though, when i was doing my research on the one i bought i find out there is an even cheaper knock-off version.....of the cheap Chinese product i bought, go figure.

Oh, sure, you can get stuff like that directly from sellers in China on eBay. A few of them are also selling on Amazon nowadays. Just make sure the sellers have excellent feedback from users who don't seem to be shills. The products are usually identical except for the rebadging.

I used to feel a little guilty about buying stuff that way; but then I figured if the stuff is made in China anyway, the only ones being hurt by my cutting out the middle man were Walmart et al. -- and they'll likely manage to survive somehow. (I still would be hesitant to buy anything really important that way, though.)

Rich

I've been wanting to make a multi-camera dashcam for a while. I figure it should run nicely off a Raspberry Pi and could probably support 4 cameras at different angles - forward left, forward right, back, and "officer" view across the dashboard and out the window. I know Linux has all the components that will support this but I haven't dug into it with enough vigor to actually flesh it out. Grand total, I think it's $150 in parts and a whole lot of programming to put the components together.

I've been wanting to make a multi-camera dashcam for a while. I figure it should run nicely off a Raspberry Pi and could probably support 4 cameras at different angles - forward left, forward right, back, and "officer" view across the dashboard and out the window. I know Linux has all the components that will support this but I haven't dug into it with enough vigor to actually flesh it out. Grand total, I think it's $150 in parts and a whole lot of programming to put the components together.

Here you go. This should work. Click Me, click ME!

What they don't get is that the relative safety afforded by our sparse traffic is offset by the constant risk of having to suddenly brake to avoid suicidal deer, bear cubs, turkeys, and geese. (Anything smaller typically gets run over without so much as a shrug.) Almost all rear-end collisions up here are the result of someone having to brake to avoid wildlife, and then getting rear-ended by some idiot who was tailgating. And 99 times out of a hundred, the idiot tailgater was a tourist.

Rich

That could come in handy in the event you get a big repair bill for your old truck.

Since this post went up, I went ahead and bought an Original Dash Cam 2 that was on sale at Amazon. It works well enough as long as you don't need Spielberg-class video quality.

Rich

Rich

Where is Sparrow Fart, exactly? I'm from the middle of the Adirondacks, but I've never heard of your little hamlet.

Where is Sparrow Fart, exactly? I'm from the middle of the Adirondacks, but I've never heard of your little hamlet.

In the Catkills, exactly one mile from the Middle of Nowhere.

middle-of-nowhere.jpg

Rich

Back