DARPA and Lockheed-Martin develop AI ATC system

Check out the first comment. :rofl:
Someone's bound to make a comment referring to these guys:
55019538.JPG

I'm sure Flight Engineers never thought their jobs would evaporate, either. However this pans out, I forsee a higher workload being placed on the pilot.

Some how I visualize hearing the voice of "Hal"!!! Hal, "Good morning N12345, please turn right to 280 and decend to FL310 for traffic."

Us: Center, we need an immediate descent for icing.

GILA: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...

"The automated air traffic control system became self-aware on Friday, December 13th, 2013."

Pretty soon we'll have unmanned ATC controlling unmanned aircraft!

Grant Prellwitz , that reminds me of the scene in Real Genius where the college lecture is given by a tape player to a room of cassete recorders.

Some of the challenges are formidable, and I wonder how much they could do without requiring new avionics in the planes.

Grant Prellwitz , that reminds me of the scene in Real Genius where the college lecture is given by a tape player to a room of cassete recorders.

Some of the challenges are formidable, and I wonder how much they could do without requiring new avionics in the planes.

i had almost forgotten about that movie. pure brilliance.

Haha...

Am I the only geek who specifically, on purpose, went and rented Terminator 2 on August 29th, 1997? :D

probably...;)

I swear if I'm ever flying and the controller starts singing Daisy Bell...

I guess I'm a bit of a caveman, but even though humans are far from perfect, I get a much better feeling when the thing at the other end that pushes the transmit button can actually understand it's not a bunch of unimportant data bits on the other end of the signal that needs help.

I don't care in the least if it can keep track of what it doesn't know. I just care that when my fan is about to stop, that whatever is on the other end can take all the crazy information that's going on and come up with a working solution to get everyone out of my way NOW.

Human still drop bananna sometimes but Ogg still like human and banana's anyway.

Imagine being a human controller and getting a call from the computer in the sector next to you for a hand off...

"Hello Dave, I have a handoff for you. Also, your movies are overdue at Blockbuster. If you accept the handoff, press 1. If you want to extend your rental, press 2."

Imagine being a human controller and getting a call from the computer in the sector next to you for a hand off...

"Hello Dave, I have a handoff for you. Also, your movies are overdue at Blockbuster. If you accept the handoff, press 1. If you want to extend your rental, press 2."

"I'm sorry, TSA has determined that you have made too many flights to that airport in the last two years. They have denied permission for you to travel and you are now on double secret probation. Please taxi over to the TSA station and turn yourself in."

Relax, everybody... computers' innate superiority makes them somehow impervious to the shortfalls of their human programmers, who apparently can't be trusted to control our nation's airspaces much longer.

Nothing can possibly go worng.

:)

Relax, everybody... computers' innate superiority makes them somehow impervious to the shortfalls of their human programmers, who apparently can't be trusted to control our nation's airspaces much longer.

Someday I'll tell a story about AAS.....

Nothing can possibly go wrong.

I hope they aren't running on Windows. Use for life critical situations is a violation of the software license....that means you, nuclear power industry.

Do ya think the AI will do more than the deal alarms that ATC gets now? Do you need all kinds of algorithms to know the separation standards, if there are any in military situations?

How will the AI handle the problem that ATC doesn't actually fly the plane?

I hope they aren't running on Windows. Use for life critical situations is a violation of the software license....that means you, nuclear power industry.

"Runaway on Reactor 1 - shut down NOW"

"Oh, No, Mr. Bill - it just went to the BSOD!"

Didn't the FAA already have an Artificial Intelligence experiment that went on for five years and ended in utter failure?

I understand that the Aerospace Industries Association currently sponsors the same experiment and is finding that the top-level processor consistently fails to account for all data and tends to return spurious results.

"Runaway on Reactor 1 - shut down NOW"

"Oh, No, Mr. Bill - it just went to the BSOD!"
When one of the Windows worms went rampant (Slammer?), it actually tore through the consoles on some of the nuke plants. It was thought for a while that was one of the causes of the east coast blackout.

No no no no.... here's how it will really go:

"Hello Dave, I have a handoff for you. To continue in English, press 1. Para continuar en Espanol, marque el dos."

Last edited:
Yes... And, ground your plane during flight if you're past due!

Nah. When your account runs dry you can't land. You better have a relative with an ATM card who can bail you out, or you'll be stuck in the air.

A computer is, by definition, infinitely stupid. Software just hides it's total lack of understanding by burying the fact in gazillions of lines of self indulgent code.
Think about it...

Back