Darn Sharp Plane, Civilian Version Was Ahead of its Time

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
NTSB Identification: FTW84FA075 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 23461.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, November 23, 1983 in EL RENO, OK
Aircraft: Gulfstream PEREGRINE, registration: N600GA
Injuries: 1 Serious.
AT ABOUT 215 KTS THE PLT ROLLED THE ACFT IN ORDER TO EVALUATE NEWLY INSTALLED AILERONS. IT HAD BEEN NOTED EARLIER THAT A DEAD-BAND EXISTED IN THE AILERON NEUTRAL RANGE THAT INCREASED WITH AIRSPEED. THE PLT STATED THAT UPON ROLLOUT THE DEAD-BAND WAS STRONGER & SLOWED THE RECOVERY WHICH RESULTED IN AN ADDITIONAL ROLL. AS THE ACFT CONTINUED ITS ROLL, THE NOSE-DOWN ATTITUDE INCREASED CAUSING THE ACFT TO ACCELERATE AT AN EVER INCREASING RATE. DURING THE ROLLOUT OF THE SECOND ROLL, THE STICK RESISTANCE CAUSED THE PLT TO PUSH CONSIDERABLY HARDER, INADVERTENTLY PUSHING THE STICK THROUGH NEUTRAL TO THE OPPOSITE SIDE. AN IMMEDIATE AND RAPID AILERON ROLL REVERSAL RESULTED & ANY ACTION THAT THE PILOT TOOK WOULD NOT AFFECT THE RATE OF ROLL OR DESCENT. THE PLT EJECTED BELOW 3000 FT MSL WHILE IN INVERTED FLT.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
FLT CONTROL SYST,AILERON CONTROL..INADEQUATE
ACFT/EQUIP,INADEQUATE AIRFRAME..MANUFACTURER

Here's a brief history of the Peregrine. It was a derivative of the Hustler, a prototype center-line-thrust business aircraft with a PT6 turboprop in the nose and a Williams turbojet in the vertical fin root, something like the center engine installation of a Boeing 727 or L-1011.

The Hustler was developed in the late 1970's by American Jet Industries of Van Nuys, CA (the One Six Right airport). AJI bought out Grumman's civilian airplane lines (including the Gulfstream bizjets and the Grumman-American singles) in late 1978, I believe, and renamed the company Gulfstream American. AJI's head Allen Paulsen had less interest in the light singles than he did in flashy projects like Hustler and Peregrine, leading him to unceremoniously stop production of the Tiger and Cheetah just a year later. What a shame.

-- Pilawt

A prop in the nose and a jet engine as standby in the rear. That is just the wierdest thing...

I worked across the field from gulfstream in OKC, saw both the hustler and peregrine flying. (mostly hte peregrine) Fairly neat looking up close..

I worked across the field from gulfstream in OKC, saw both the hustler and peregrine flying. (mostly hte peregrine) Fairly neat looking up close..
Hello, I own the ejection seat that saved the pilot's life from this aircraft (I picked it up for $500 at the scrapyard after it sat in a hangar for 30 years, what a steal) and I am trying to find out as much as I can about the plane and the people who worked on it. Is there an email that I can use to contact you if you have any information about it?
Thank you!

Back