Dark money

Jimmy cooper

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jim cooper
Excellent book but depressing that it still goes on. I want to mention again the book " Flying Fortress" by edward Jablonsky which is again in print and is listed on Amazon. Fantastic book about the airplane and the very young pilots, ( often 19-25 yrs. old) who flew them in " the bloody 100th Bomb group . Mostly B17s .most with only around 200 hrs. Total time. Amazing accounts ! I have an old hard copy that I've read at least four times over the years. When one considers the nav. Instruments and radios they used compared to what is common in a small private aircraft today, it's humbling. Many were lost in weather, forming up, etc. much less combat. Big frank Valesh who flew B17 " Hang The Expense" or Robby Rosenthal who flew " Rosie's Riveters" and " Royal Flush" a total of 50 missions. Just amazing stuff!

If you're talking about the book "Dark Money" by Jane Mayer, that is a long rant about how the Koch brothers and a few of their cronies secretly buy elections and influence through 503(c) tax exempt organizations, I thought it was a bit over done. There is no happy medium between the libtards and the ultra-cons. I read books from both sides. But, I've learned to take it all in with a grain of salt and a heaping big dash of skepticism.

An excellent aviation history book I recently finished was "The Wrong Stuff" by Truman Smith.

Another extraordinary bit of aviation history is anything about the guys flying "the hump". I can only imagine flying hard IFR through the tallest mountain range in the world with nothing but a compass and an ADF.

I second "Flying Fortress". I wore mine out. I'll have to look into the new one on Amazon. "Fate Is the Hunter" is also on my read and reread list. Robert S. Scott's "God is My Copilot" also has stories of both flying the Hump and air combat in China/Burma. While it's bit propagandist (it was first published during the war) there are some excellent stories in there as well.

John

I'm reading Scott's book right now.

If you're talking about the book "Dark Money" by Jane Mayer, that is a long rant about how the Koch brothers and a few of their cronies secretly buy elections and influence through 503(c) tax exempt organizations, I thought it was a bit over done. There is no happy medium between the libtards and the ultra-cons. I read books from both sides. But, I've learned to take it all in with a grain of salt and a heaping big dash of skepticism.

An excellent aviation history book I recently finished was "The Wrong Stuff" by Truman Smith.
......I am indeed talking about jane Mayers book who incidentally is a prize winning author and known to be very consise and factual. There certainly is a middle ground and it's called proper regulation. Improper regulation is also what caused the 2007 disaster and not much was done about it. Both sides are at fault. It's all about money and corruption.

......I am indeed talking about jane Mayers book who incidentally is a prize winning author and known to be very consise and factual. There certainly is a middle ground and it's called proper regulation. Improper regulation is also what caused the 2007 disaster and not much was done about it. Both sides are at fault. It's all about money and corruption.

Always at least 2 sides to every story. I would be a little less skeptical of her book if it look at campaign finance on both the left and the right. But, instead it gave a little light fluffing of Bloomberg and the liberal SuperPacs, less than a chapter. The rest of the book was a thorough indictment of the right. In my experience, it if walks like a duck, ....

It really doesn't matter. Because, she is right, biased or not. We aren't gonna get a fair representative government until we have meaningful campaign finance reform and term limits for congress.

I would like to take a moment to congratulate you on this post. You managed one political rant without mentioning Reagan or Bush.

Last edited:
Back