"Dangerous Flights"

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
I may be late to the dance so to speak guys but last night via youtube I watched there episodes of "Dangerous Flights" and wanted your take on it. Just how much totally fake and over-sensationalized drama is brought into that series? One minute those guys are talking about being "fuel critical" the next they are doing low altitude buzzes and having a great old time. How many ferry flights involving a Cessna 206 or a Bonanza involve two pilots? I always thought most ferry assignments of smaller aircraft typically involved one pilot?

I got approached a few times about doing a TV spot about the kind of flying I do. I said "You wouldn't like it. I don't panic even when things get pretty bad." They agreed and that was the end of it.

I will probably get blasted for this because I cannot quote the source of the report but, I remember reading a report back in the 80's that concluded the heart and respiration rates of seasoned pilots actually dropped in the face of an emergency.

Had a lot to do with the training that taught us to not panic and simply fly the airplane.

I got approached a few times about doing a TV spot about the kind of flying I do. I said "You wouldn't like it. I don't panic even when things get pretty bad." They agreed and that was the end of it.

LMAO!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

All Hollywood wants is fake drama. They even added it into a show I was on, A&E's Driving Force.

Remember that episode of Flying Wild Alaska where they made an episode out of a hangar door that wouldn't open?

Paraphrased:

The door won't open
The aircraft are trapped inside
The airline is losing massive revenue and passengers are stranded
This could bring down the entire company in hours
You can cut the tension with a knife
Tic-Toc the company is on the verge of failure
Door is open, the skies are blue, disaster avoided!

Just another day of created drama in the aviation business.

I've actually taken an interest in the series and found it to be entertaining. But, I do think they add some artificial adversity and tend to over dramatize things. I wouldn't go so far to say they "fake" scenes but I suspect the situations aren't quite as dire as they are portrayed to be.

I will probably get blasted for this because I cannot quote the source of the report but, I remember reading a report back in the 80's that concluded the heart and respiration rates of seasoned pilots actually dropped in the face of an emergency.

Had a lot to do with the training that taught us to not panic and simply fly the airplane.

I would believe that fully. I've often found myself calmer when I know things are bad than when I wonder why they aren't.

Saw the episodes and thought they were really fun. Some of it is indeed over dramatized, but slaloming icebergs and flying the Amazon basin were as real as it gets. Great show, well worth the watch.

I've been on the Weather Channel, Fox News, and local news and papers. They just want info.

Last edited:
Is this program anything like the Plane Extreme shows that were on last year? I think we had a couple posters here from that show for a few months.

Well I'm going to watch some more episodes tonight and give it some more time. That guy Cary is really annoying me though.

I just stumbled across this series on YouTube too. I've enjoyed watching it if but just for another show involving airplanes. It is kind of cool how they show the ferrying of these planes across massive distances. It would be an adventure of a life time for sure!

I'bebeen on the Weather Channel, Fox News, and local news and papers. They just want info.

That's different. They were approaching me about actually doing a TV series.

I have to say guys all the sensationalism aside the planes are very cool. Even that Piper Cheyenne that they claimed was pure "junk" was a cool aircraft if given some TLC. I was also surprised when that Dornier didn't come with an auto pilot.

Last edited:
I watched the entire series and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Randy is The Man! Doesn't take any unnecessary risks even with the bossman sitting in the right seat crying about the cost of delays. I'm just happy to see a show involving aviation that isn't as ridiculous as airplane repo. That show is just too much BS for me to watch. I look forward to more seasons of dangerous flights. It's better than most programs on TV.

I watched the entire series and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Randy is The Man! Doesn't take any unnecessary risks even with the bossman sitting in the right seat crying about the cost of delays. I'm just happy to see a show involving aviation that isn't as ridiculous as airplane repo. That show is just too much BS for me to watch. I look forward to more seasons of dangerous flights. It's better than most programs on TV.

You know what man? This damn show is really growing on me now.

That's different. They were approaching me about actually doing a TV series.
It would be more realistic than this show. I found myself screaming all kinds of things at these guys. Flying into a thunderstorm, low on fuel, low on cash, no planning at all. Even the flight in the Phenom was full of BS drama.

Do you ferry pilots have even half the BS drama these guys have. I would have quit flying if I had any of this crap happened as often to me as this.

62 YO, retired Comm, Multi, IFR, Flight Inst endorsement. I am a RW pilot. The things this show details are unreal. BS in my opinion. Closest I ever came to the stuff this show says is everyday pilot experiance is me flying 50 miles in a Beaver with one mag. Dumb, stupid but I wanted the job. Never again!

Never had an engine failure, complete pre-flight always saved me from that situation, IFAIK. Maybe just lucky.

Junior pilots or wannabe's ... this is definately NOT what aviation is about. Total BS as far as I'm concerned.

Some of it was ok, some of it was just absurd. I can see most of those guys being just like they are filmed. Like the one that had his panties in a bunch because he wasn't PIC in the Cirrus the entire trip.

I'bebeen on the Weather Channel, Fox News, and local news and papers. They just want info.

Gas prices went up under GWB, 2005ish I think it was. The local news was at the gas station looking for stories about starving children due to Bush raising gas prices. They approached me, all I could come up with was "I'd gladly pay $5.00/gal if Cheney was president"... They didn't air my commentary.

Any reality show is over dramatized and bs but it's entertaining this show becsuse it has to do with flying. By the way I feel like all these new aciation related shows came out after I got into aviation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62 YO, retired Comm, Multi, IFR, Flight Inst endorsement. I am a RW pilot. The things this show details are unreal. BS in my opinion. Closest I ever came to the stuff this show says is everyday pilot experiance is me flying 50 miles in a Beaver with one mag. Dumb, stupid but I wanted the job. Never again!

Never had an engine failure, complete pre-flight always saved me from that situation, IFAIK. Maybe just lucky.

Junior pilots or wannabe's ... this is definately NOT what aviation is about. Total BS as far as I'm concerned.

Welcome to PoA.

I've been watching NatGeo's Mayday/Air Crash Investigation lately; it's pretty good and not really over-sensationalized. The episodes where they focus on the events of the crash and not all the BS about interviewing the non-pilot survivors are the best.

I may be late to the dance so to speak guys but last night via youtube I watched there episodes of "Dangerous Flights" and wanted your take on it. Just how much totally fake and over-sensationalized drama is brought into that series? One minute those guys are talking about being "fuel critical" the next they are doing low altitude buzzes and having a great old time. How many ferry flights involving a Cessna 206 or a Bonanza involve two pilots? I always thought most ferry assignments of smaller aircraft typically involved one pilot?

I feel that it is a very over dramatized show. I mean, according to that show , big emergencies happen on every single flight they do. Yes , ferry flying is a dangerous career and emergencies do happen, But im sure in real life, those emergencies do not occur every hour on every flight.

Flying over Russia with no heat sounded pretty bad to me. Flying over Russia with no warm clothing to don sounds pretty stupid, but I digress. I thought that was genuinely dangerous. I know what extreme cold can do to the unprepared.

Flying over Russia with no heat sounded pretty bad to me. Flying over Russia with no warm clothing to don sounds pretty stupid, but I digress. I thought that was genuinely dangerous. I know what extreme cold can do to the unprepared.

And then there was INVADING Russia with no warm clothing! :hairraise:

Back