DANG!!! There's a lot of metal on an airplane. . .

C

CowboyPilot

Crappy weather day here in Tejas, so we're sitting around in the hangar--the wife and I and the German Shephards. Nobody's flying except for a few arrivals. Nice cool day to let Dutch and Dak out to run, so we do. Then it's back home, upstairs, get out of the coats. Find ourselves wandering downstairs to the hangar floor.

I start fiddling with a rag on the 172, and next thing I know, the wife has a rag. I go wet my rag, then next thing I know, the wife has a couple of water buckets filled up.

Dutch and Dak headed for the corner--figured they were about to get a bath.

We wash the 172. We dry the 172. Looks pretty good.

Then a problem.

Wife turns and looks at the Cardinal.

Wife goes and refills buckets with warm water. Away we go. We wash Cardinal. We dry the Cardinal. Looks pretty good.

I go sit down in one of the lazy-boy recliners in the corner by the TV and fireplace. Dutch and Dak figure it's safe and come lay down beside me. I've got remote in hand and am about to turn the TV on when I look over and wife has wax applicator in hand and has started dabbing wax on the Cardinal.

Uh-oh.

We wax Cardinal. Me Karate Kid. Wax on. Wax off. Do not forget to breathe--very important.

I finish getting the last bit of wax off the vertical stab on the Cardinal and I see wife on ladder doing Karate Kid impression on Skyhawk. While wax is drying on Skyhawk, I get out the big 5HP Craftsman shop vac and do the interiors. Wife hands me a can of Klear-to-Land--I spray, she wipes.

Then it's wax-off time for the 172.

Holy cow is there a lot of metal on an airplane.

Where is that little Japanese karate teacher guy to rub his hands together real quick and then press them on my aching joints?

-JD

Just think. Now it is not only more beautiful, but also more efficient (or faster, if that's your thing). And you had more time to bond with HER. Cherish every moment. Best wishes.

You haven't washed an airplane until you've washed a King Air 200.

By yourself. :eek:

C414's take a while too. Gack.

Washing is a damn good way to really get to know an airplane, though.

What's that expression????... oh yeah -

Better you than me, buddy!!

I wouldn't be able to walk upright for three days. Ouch.

J.D., you are the luckiest man in aviation.
Me: I'm going out to the airport (45minutes away)
Her: Why?
Me: Well, I have an airplane out there.......
Her: (Siggghhhh) Didn't you just go out there LAST month????
Me: Yes, but we have had some pretty bad storms since tgen, and I really need to know if I need to call AOPA insurance so we can collect on the hull insurance...
Her: Well, here's hopin....
Me: as I head out the drive..... Grrrrrrr One of these days, One of these days....... I'll get even and have the kids learn how to fly. Yeah, that's it...

I was gonna belly-ache about washing an E-2 Hawkeye ... but Henning trumped THAT one big time! We now return you to your regularly scheduled show ...

Like noted already - good together time.

JD, did you actually talk to your wife through any of that or have you been married too long for that? :D

JD,

I hope you paused for just a couple of minutes to realize just how lucky you are. The planes. The wife that helps you wash/wax the planes. I bet you slept like a baby...

JD, did you actually talk to your wife through any of that or have you been married too long for that? :D

Let's see. . . which Amendment is that I need to plead? The Fifth?

Nah, we talked pretty much the whole time except for when I was on the creeper doing the bellies or when I was inside with the shop vac.

JD,

I hope you paused for just a couple of minutes to realize just how lucky you are. The planes. The wife that helps you wash/wax the planes.

Shoot, don't think I don't know it. Got a few buddies who I'd love to go and see, but truth be told, I can't stand to be around their wives--whimpering, whining spoiled you-know-whats.

At least I got a wife that loves to fly and loves to go boating and can run that Sea Ray damn near as good as me, loves dogs, loves the solitude of the country, and on and on and on.

I am the luckiest man alive.

I bet you slept like a baby...

Damn Ben Gay smell kept me up all night.

-JD

Who ever calls these smalls planes has never waxed one.

The bigger the plane and/or the more annoying it is to clean, the more the owner will pay you to do it for them... :yes: Being willing and able to clean and wax the rudder and vert stabilizer can land you an extra $10.

Typical BFT (big frigging twin) scenario:

Friday evening:
Owner: "Why should I pay you $40 to do it when I can do it myself this weekend for $2 in a couple hours?"
Me: "I'm just trying to get some flying money and you get a clean plane and no hassles out of the deal."
Owner: "I think not. I'll do it saturday morning myself."
Me: "Ok, fine by me. Next..."
Saturday afternoon:
Owner: (dripping soaking wet): "Here's $50. There's the dirty plane. Palease do it for me every couple months and I'll give you another $50 each time."
Me: :goofy:

I paid for about 1/2 of my flight training with a hose, sponge, rag, soap and wax.

Polish a DC-4 sometime:hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise: At least your lady helps...

Dang.. I was gonna trump most people here with washing a AT-802 that's been spraying in clouds of soybean aphids all week. I think you trump me, though. :(

How cool would it be to have one of those "Brushless" carwash thingie for planes??

Taxi in, aim the wheels on the block, shutdown, and let it pull you through....

I gotta design one of those. That would be awesome.

I got a ride in the beautiful Stratoliner that's now in the Air and Space museum at Dulles. I got to pay for the ride by helping to clean and polish it. Even with power (buffers driven by compressed air so as not to take any chance of magnetizing anything) tools, it was still a huge project. My arms and shoulders were sore for days afterwards, but boy did it look good when we were done.

When I volunteer there nowadays I tell the visiting kids that if they misbehave they'll have to help polish it. That always scares them.

And how long did it take to give both planes the wash and wax treatment?

Not too bad. We started a little after noon and finished it up around six 'o clock. Did a fairly nice detailing job, too.

Now we just can't fly 'em 'cause they'll get dirty again.

-JD

I was gonna belly-ache about washing an E-2 Hawkeye ... but Henning trumped THAT one big time! We now return you to your regularly scheduled show ...

Like noted already - good together time.

Yeah, but you probably did it on your Uncle Sam salary, it took me two weeks and I charged a butload of of money (did a butload of work though and was solid black for two weeks).

Not too bad. We started a little after noon and finished it up around six 'o clock. Did a fairly nice detailing job, too.

Now we just can't fly 'em 'cause they'll get dirty again.

-JD
You guys available to help me do the Seneca? Acres and Acres of metal. I only do 'er once a year because it's a whole weekend commitment.

Yeah, but you probably did it on your Uncle Sam salary
Yeah, for a whole $1.98 an hour, 3 squares plus mid-rats, and a bunk... plane wash crew - not by myself, fortunately...
, it took me two weeks and I charged a butload of of money (did a butload of work though and was solid black for two weeks).
Well THAT explains the photo in the avatar!!! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, for a whole $1.98 an hour, 3 squares plus mid-rats, and a bunk... plane wash crew - not by myself, fortunately...
Well THAT explains the photo in the avatar!!! :D

Hey!!!, That's me all cleaned up!!!:mad: :D

You guys available to help me do the Seneca? Acres and Acres of metal. I only do 'er once a year because it's a whole weekend commitment.

You got a warm hangar and I trade you a wax job for an IPC.:D :D :yes:

Back