Dang it!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/28623063/detail.html

The pilot landed on the highway and then noticed that his fuel tank selector valve was set in the “left wing” position – not in the “both winds” position.

Pilot James Hollis from Colorado made the switch, checked the fuel in the right wing, restarted the engine and took off.

Doh!

Did you read the comments posted after the story?

They said:

"So much for pre-flight checklists. I guess he used his to wipe his butt."

Hey! If he had "both winds" it might have been pretty deadly! BOTH winds? Man!

But seriously,
When I took my private pilot checkride in a piper warrior (left OR right, but not both), the DPE seriously scolded me for not IMMEDIATELY switching tanks. I was going through the ABC's. Best Airspeed, Find best place to land, etc... But, Since most engine failures are related to running out of fuel, that tank switch should have occurred at the same time as going to best glide/looking for place to land.

If you never switch the tanks due to running on both, I could see how that would be an issue for the one time you DO switch.

Embarrassing for him, I'm certain, although he won't be making THAT mistake again.

Interestingly, fuel shutoff valve and tank selector are the only two items mentioned TWICE in the preflight checklist - once before engine start, the other during runup.

In montana isnt a "fair amount of traffic" like all of 2 cars?

Embarrassing for him, I'm certain, although he won't be making THAT mistake again.

Interestingly, fuel shutoff valve and tank selector are the only two items mentioned TWICE in the preflight checklist - once before engine start, the other during runup.

Hehe, "the" preflight checklist. I've seen so many different checklists in rental aircraft, often with completely inapplicable items or missing important steps. I like to have my own for every aircraft I fly regularly.

Some older model 172s should not be left on "Both" all the time. You're supposed to change to one tank or the other once in cruise, to avoid fuel starvation due to vapour lock. The selector should be placarded if this is the case.

I'm glad of the outcome - it was a great landing! (you can use the airplane again). I'm sure he won't make that mistake again, and I hope he isn't too embarrassed, since he pulled off a textbook forced landing.

Last edited:
Re: Plane lands on Montana Highway

so he missed step 1 of the checklist,.... :idea: Glad he did make it safely and the troopers allowed the takeoff again,... if he didn't, imagine the stupidity in that NTSB report

I thought it was legal to land on a road in Montana.

So the "... the plane was mistakenly drawing fuel from only one of its two tanks..."

Ohhh -- now I get it!

My plane makes mistakes all the time!

I like the section where it says without the engine running he had no control over where he was going to land. Ha!

Is that because of the parachute?

AND in the "engine failure in flight" checklist.

Unless you're in the pattern, you generally have time to run the engine failure flow, and pull the checklist to ensure you haven't forgotten anything.

So the "... the plane was mistakenly drawing fuel from only one of its two tanks..."

Ohhh -- now I get it!

My plane makes mistakes all the time!
It is a new catagory of errors called 'plane mistakes'

It was added thanks to the software designed, fly by wire systems and pilots who refuse to be accountable for their actions. :D

Like what was documented in these threads Cough, cough http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30357
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31355
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30586

Of course I've had my tanks on both, and had the engine quit. Uneven fuel draw will do that.

Okay, I've learned my something new for the day.:rofl:

Take two straws, put them in a glass of water/soda/milk/whatever and suck on both of them. Now. Take one of the straws and cut it off so it doesn't go into the liquid. Try sucking with both of them.

You suck (that's a command, not personal descriptor, although I read another thread where a certain female poster used those exact words in the 2nd manner) LOL

...Okay I just realized how someone could totally take that out of context. not a roygbiv-er

Kim:

I guess you already know this, but Ed's a pretty good pilot and, despite his unyielding manly-man bravado, he likes to conclude each flight with life and limb unharmed.

Back