dang it safari!

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
I just downloaded and installed the latest version of safari for the mac at the studio, and realized that the system doesn't meet the requirements of the program, so I'm trying to revert back to version 2.XXX. Can anyone help?

thanks

if that was a tech joke, it went way the heck over my head.
so...haha?

if that was a tech joke, it went way the heck over my head.
so...haha?

"ProTools for Windows"

I wish I could actually offer real help for your problem, Dave, but unfortunately, I don't know how to do anything with a Mac, except power it on (provided I can actually find the power button).

Heh. I'm actually starting to appreciate windows a little bit more these days. The macs have been driving me cuckoo.

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of safari for the mac at the studio, and realized that the system doesn't meet the requirements of the program, so I'm trying to revert back to version 2.XXX. Can anyone help?

thanks

You should get a MAC and then you would not have these problems.

Oh wait...

Never mind!

Dave - google downgrade safari - a number of likely looking pages come up, including threads from Apple support. I could ask my personal Apple Support techs (my kids :D ), but one's working and one's playing guitar at summer camp right now! :)

Last edited:
I'm no mac expert--I just use one. I would guess that you could just delete "Safari" from the applications directory and then download an older one. Place the older one in the Applications directory..and done deal.

You can download pretty much every version of Safari from here:

http://michelf.com/projects/multi-safari/

Unlike Windows it's not completely embedded into the operating system in a way that you can't deal with.

I'm no mac expert--I just use one. I would guess that you could just delete "Safari" from the applications directory and then download an older one. Place the older one in the Applications directory..and done deal.

You can download pretty much every version of Safari from here:

http://michelf.com/projects/multi-safari/

Unlike Windows it's not completely embedded into the operating system in a way that you can't deal with.

I've tried trashing it, then reloading v1.2 with no luck, but I'll try this link you sent me.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iethJvyYOu8

So There!! :rofl:

burning-ibook.jpg

that was a PC, so GFY....good for you...steev

Last edited:

thanks

Any machine you have in a studio should meet the requirements... Just make sure you're running the latest version of whatever OS you have (That would be either 10.4.11 or 10.5.3). Looking around, it seems that 10.4.9 is the minimum for Safari 3, but keeping it updated is good for other reasons (security, etc.)

Any machine you have in a studio should meet the requirements... Just make sure you're running the latest version of whatever OS you have (That would be either 10.4.11 or 10.5.3). Looking around, it seems that 10.4.9 is the minimum for Safari 3, but keeping it updated is good for other reasons (security, etc.)
It is very possible that he has a mac running something older then 10.4. You'd be surprised how long people keep computers around.

It is very possible that he has a mac running something older then 10.4. You'd be surprised how long people keep computers around.

No I wouldn't, I used to work on 'em all the time.

However, any Mac capable of running Pro Tools is more than capable of running 10.4, and should be for security anyway.

I do know that a lot of creative places don't keep things as up to date because they need to have their stuff WORK and if it works they hesitate to change, especially if there's no in-house IT staff to test, install, and rescue if necessary. But, 10.4 is old now! 10.5 has been out since October, tho I don't recommend running any version of it below 10.5.2.

Such as my Beige G3 c.1997 300 MHz, 9 GB SCSI HD, 768 MB RAM box?
I run Mozilla 1.5 for my browser on that machine.
Running OS 9.2.2

that is correct....we have two computers...one is a super machine...totally up to date, but we keep another one in the back corner that is only for internet and CD burning....
the one in the corner is the one that's screwed. It's 10.3.9.
hence the problem

that is correct....we have two computers...one is a super machine...totally up to date, but we keep another one in the back corner that is only for internet and CD burning....
the one in the corner is the one that's screwed. It's 10.3.9.
hence the problem

Hmmm. Is it still on 10.3.9 for compatibility with some old software? Or is it really that old that it can't run 10.4?

Hmmm. Is it still on 10.3.9 for compatibility with some old software? Or is it really that old that it can't run 10.4?

old software. it's a g4. we don't worry too much about that computer. we try to save $$$ and only update the one that we use all the time, which is g5...the one we use for pro-tools
anyway....I figured I'd update firefox and safari on the old G4 the other night, and got totally screwed....neither worked...at least firefox let me fix my screwup...

Yup. There's a Mac LCIII sitting here in my office at home. OS is version 7.1. No, it isn't connected to the LAN. And it was powered on just long enough to boot and look to see what version of the OS it had. 8 MBytes of RAM! And you don't want to know how old it is. :rofl:

Thanks for providing that link Jesse. Finally got around to fixing it today.

Back