Dang, I'm an Internet Surgeon!

Last night I whacked my thumbnail good with a hammer. Have not slept a wink one, all night. About 4am, I started running plans through my head, driving to the local hospital - probably a $2000.00 deal with them (under my deductible) - driving 3 hours to the nearest city hospital, arranging an 'accident' with the miter saw, then I found the suggestion on emedicine (it didn't work for me last time 5yrs ago) and gave it another go. No paperclips but I did have lots of 040 ss safety wire around and it gets red hot with my plumber's torch so I seared away. Finally a squirt of blood came out through the hole I made and the pain is reduced to that of a Japanese torture camp (the hydrocodone is helping no doubt too).
So today I am 'LetsNotGoFlying!'
I'll keep you posted on the ensuing lymphangitis or gangrene! Pictures anyone?!
OOOOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHH! I am such an idiot with tools!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Last night I whacked my thumbnail good with a hammer. ....... I am such an idiot with tools!

On the other hand, you've saved yourself a whole bunch of money that can be used for flying :yes:

Let'sgoflying! said:
I'll keep you posted on the ensuing lymphangitis or gangrene! Pictures anyone?!OOOOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHH! I am such an idiot with tools!
Dave, you're a Vet and you know about wound care. Don't let the open entry to the culture media get infected.....

I am 95% better today... last time I 'toughed it out' for 4 sleepless nights before going to the hospital. Another week to heal.
I did another penetration of the nail after my last post... it was still hurting a fair bit near the base. A LOT of the red stuff came out and the pain subsided markedly in 6 hours.
I now have 'my technique' developed. Red hot safety wire 040", for an inch along (any less and it cools too quickly, mass-effect), gently apply to the desired area repeatedly, you want to gradually enlargen the opening. You will enter the hematoma without feeling pain from the heat if done correctly. You know you are done when blood oozes. Follow up with a real Dr (best to see them first if you can, actually) for antibiotics and don't forget aseptic technique when you do it.. also a tetanus shot.
Ahhhh, relief. I can live with two ugly holes in my nail. Hey, I saved a few bucks too.
Ohh. gotta go, I feel my appendicitis acting up, where is that sharp kitchen knife!
;)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Ahhhh, relief. I can live with two ugly holes in my nail. Hey, I saved a few bucks too.
Ohh. gotta go, I feel my appendicitis acting up, where is that sharp kitchen knife!
;)

You're probably gonna lose that nail. But I know you already knew that. :)

Glad things worked out okay.

Having done Dave's nail trephination procedure at least a hundred times, I don't think he's likely to lose the nail just because he poked a couple holes in it.

Generally I do not prescribe anitbiotics for these injuries. Maybe if there's a fracture, but that more to appease the legal system than for any benefit. Warm soaks a few times a day would be good to do.

Dave, next time might I suggest a digital nerve block. Use some of the bupivicaine you have stashed away somewhere and you'll get 8 hours of complete pain relief.

Jon

Thanks Jon,
I think Carol might be thinking the injury itself would cause the nail to fall off. Actually it is looking remarkably healthy and feels 95% today. Except for a few ugly burn holes. They really didn't hurt much. It oozed more blood today, everytime I use it a bit. That is a good thing, it is much clearer under the nail.'

The nerve block might be a bit beyond me...in fact the er doc didn't have any luck when he did it a few yrs ago! (I ended up sending him and the burly assistance sailing across the room when they tried to do it the west Texas way, all unintentional)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back