Dang Dell or M/S or somebody...

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
So my crummy laptop decides to update. Ok. I understand. It's happened before.

When I go to turn it off, though, all of a sudden there is NO option for "Turn Off Computer". Just "log off", which all of a sudden seems like a BAD idea... :rolleyes:

I killed power with the off switch, brought it home and tried it again, same thing. I did a system restore to the point just before the "update" :rolleyes: and all is well again... as well as this thing gets. Who the heck makes an update that keeps you from turning the damn thing off?????

Soon as I have the money to do it, I'm getting a Samsung Q with the whatdoyoucallit? the drive that isn't a hard drive. Dang. Blanking out on the name of that... oh, right "solid state" hard drive. :eek:

Are you sure the update was 'completed'? MS likes to leave stuff running in the background to give you the idea of 'oh, that was quick and painless', even though it's still eating your resources. If it was still performing the update, it might disable the 'turn off computer' option to prevent corrupting the update while files are being edited/moved.

Run CHKDSK /F and see what happens. Could just be some filesystem corruption. May as well try the easy things first.

-Rich

Are you sure the update was 'completed'? MS likes to leave stuff running in the background to give you the idea of 'oh, that was quick and painless', even though it's still eating your resources. If it was still performing the update, it might disable the 'turn off computer' option to prevent corrupting the update while files are being edited/moved.
who the heck knows, ya know? :confused:

At any rate, of course, as soon as I turned it off using my freshly re-acquired "turn off computer" button, it updated again! :eek: But this time all seems to be right with the world. Well, I still have an off button, at least. :rolleyes:

Back