Damn drunk drivers...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Our family lost two beautiful women today, not related to us, but they were both the most kind-hearted ladies you could ever care to meet.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/wfaa070119_wz_fatals.551b2166.html

When we moved to Texas, they became like grandmas to our girls and family. Diana made the most beautiful horse blanket for my youngest daughter, who has a love of horses (what little girl doesn't?). Sandy was Diana's best friend, and good friends with my mother-in-law too, who is also their age. Sandy was known by everyone for making the BEST chocolate cake (among other things!).

After a church meeting, they all went out for coffee and were headed home when they got broadsided by a drunk driver. Sandy's husband, Lester, also a good family friend and a most excellent man, was still at the church for an elder's meeting. He had to find out something was wrong first by worrying (at home) why Sandy wasn't home at 10:30, 11:00, then 11:30, and then dealing with a policeman knocking at his door.

He told us that the policeman stayed with him, held him, and let him cry til a family member (his son) arrived. He was amazed at that officer. So was I, hearing the story. I can't imagine how hard that walk up the sidewalk must be for a peace officer. Bless his heart for not just spilling the news and leaving.

Lester and Sandy were high school sweethearts, married young and have been together, in love, ever since. They were just getting ready to retire.

I spent time with Tolo (the driver) and Lester today... it was awful having to watch them cry, then go home and tell my kids that these beautiful ladies are gone. Tolo is going to be okay physically, but his heart will take a while to mend.

Attached is a picture of Sandy with my mother in law. Sandy is in the background. She was the most compassionate soul.

Rest in peace, my friends. We'll never forget you.

Attachments

• Sandy.jpg
    Sandy.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
This breaks my heart. Always does. It seems these kind of senseless accidents seem to happen more in Texas and New Mexico than anywhere else, despite new laws and enforcement to make things better.

I'm really sorry Troy. I feel for you and your family. This sucks.

Sorry to hear this, Troy. It's amazing how such wonderful people seem to find a way into our 'non-blood-related' family and their absence carries as much weight as a 'blood-relative'. Will be thinking of your family and all involved.

I'm really saddened to hear this, Troy. All I can say is we share your pain, and the family's grief in their loss.

Troy, I know your pain and have felt it on too many occasions.

When I was 21 and overseas in Vietnam, my squadron commander came into the bunker one afternoon, sat down, lit a cigarette and stared off into space.

I knew something was up.

He then told me that he'd just received word from the States that my mother, father and brother had been killed by a drunk driver, then handed me the DOD Telegram. I was eligible for a full honorable discharge at that moment--didn't take it. Both sets of grandparents were already passed away, Mom was an only child and Dad's brother had been killed in WWII.

In the blink of an eye, I was completely alone in the world.

That's how fast things can change for any of us. . . for all us.

I left the jungles of Vietnam and 24 hours later I was in civilization staring at three closed caskets in a funeral home that held what was left of my family. Next day, I buried them and was on a plane for Thailand before the sun had set. Dad's will was in order and as next of kin, the JAG took care of everything. Wasn't much to take care of.

Any given day can be our last. Live life today. Be yourself. Be true to your fellow man. And remember: God loves you, so love Him back. That's the only thing that won't make your last day your "last" day.

Again Troy, I know the feeling but it sounds like these two dear women lived a full life, gave freely of themselves and would tell you and others to keep smiling and keep moving your feet forward.

Regards and God Bless.

-JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Troy, I know your pain and have felt it on too many occasions.

Wow, JD. I can't even imagine what that must have been like for you. To lose them all at once like that is more than any human should have to endure, but I know it happens and we keep on going, somehow, someway.

Thanks for everyone's kind words... these forums have held a lot of "bad news" lately, but like family we help each other through. The pilot community just seems to be that way...

It's amazing how such wonderful people seem to find a way into our 'non-blood-related' family and their absence carries as much weight as a 'blood-relative'.

Thanks, Chris. Ain't what you said just the truth?! I have many friends that are more "family" to me than the blood-line people are.

Our family lost two beautiful women today, not related to us, but they were both the most kind-hearted ladies you could ever care to meet.

:( Words fail me Troy, and as you know, that's a rare occurance. There seems to be a lot of saddness on this board so far this year and it's just started...sigh. Best wishes and prayers for Lester and your families. Drunk f**king drivers...:mad: As for the LEO, I feel for him, I've had to deliver the same information before over friends, it's really tough.

When I was 21 and overseas in Vietnam, my squadron commander came into the bunker one afternoon, sat down, lit a cigarette and stared off into space.

I knew something was up.

He then told me that he'd just received word from the States that my mother, father and brother had been killed by a drunk driver, then handed me the DOD Telegram.

Wow, that had to be rough, makes me feel like a whiney ***** over my current situation.

Wow.. heartbreaking. I'm so sorry to hear of your, and their family's loss. The fact that they are truly preventable deaths make them even harder to bear.

DWI is a pet peeve of most officers working the streets these days, and I'm sure the officer who had to deliver the death notice has had to give more than his share. That area of DFW has a very high DWI arrest rate.

You don't happen to know the name of the officer do you? I have several good friends who work at Grapevine. I'm sure they would be proud and touched to know they could help this poor man with a tiny bit of his grief. Never a fun part of the job, but one we all take very seriously.

Last edited:
I was 16 years old when I was told my oldest sister Michelle, had been killed by a drunk driver. She was riding one of those POS Honda Elite 150's, back in 1988. Little donut tires, you didn't stand a chance if you had to maneuver.

I, HATE, drunk drivers and scooters, to this day.

Lost my only brother, to a drunk in 1996.

I'm the oldest now.

Did I mention, I HATE DRUNK DRIVERS?

-JD

OMG. To have that happen is bad enough, but to be so far away and have to deal with it.... man. I was enough of a basket case losing my father 5 years ago, and I was standing in the ER when he died....

I was 16 years old when I was told my oldest sister Michelle, had been killed by a drunk driver.

I'm the oldest now.

Did I mention, I HATE DRUNK DRIVERS?
Sigh, don't much blame you

My deepest sympathies.
This is why I get upset when I hear the phrase "No, I'm fine to drive" at the bar.

--Kath

My deepest sympathies.
This is why I get upset when I hear the phrase "No, I'm fine to drive" at the bar.

--Kath

That was one of the reasons I was only a bartender for a very short stint.
Not only did I feel morally wrong for doing it, there was also legal liability introduce. Hmmmm, I get manslaughter because the guy I was serving drinks to killed someone on the way home.... Nope, that was just too far out of my control to continue risking.

I couldn't be a Cop, for different reasons.

I don't think I could remain impartial, in a drunk driving incident, or domestic abuse, for that matter.

Too much Charles Bronson in me I guess?

Troy, sorry for not saying sooner, but I am also sorry for your loss, and your family's loss.

You are all in my prayers.

I couldn't be a Cop, for different reasons.

I don't think I could remain impartial, in a drunk driving incident, or domestic abuse, for that matter.

I was never impartial to drunks, wifebeaters and child-abusers. Never even tried to be.

To hell with them all.

-JD

Jeez Troy, JD and Andy , what to say but I feel for each of you. What really blows me away is the multiple offenders. Its astounding how these folks just never grasp the magnitude of what they do.

Troy, I am saddened by this news. Bad news comes in spurts it seems. And let's all pray this is a short one. I have been fortunate enough to be saved twice now by seatbelts when drunks crushed the cars which I was driving. I have friends who are much closer than blood relatives and I cannot imagine losing them in any manner. My parents, fortunately are still withus at 79 and 80. Seems they go to a funeral a week. At 51, I sometimes get a little melancholy thinking about the end. Then I see my kids, give them a hug and cheer right up.
Keep your chin up.

Troy

I just pray that the Comforter will be near you and your family during this time of devastating loss...

Jim

I was 16 years old when I was told my oldest sister Michelle, had been killed by a drunk driver.

I'm the oldest now.

:eek: :hairraise: :(

My condolences to all of you.

In March of 2001, my best friend was driving his Honda Civic home from the movie theater. He was in Savannah, GA and was waiting to take a left onto Abercorn (the main drag) when a drunk idiot in a Chevy Tahoe plowed into him from behind, never slowing down for the intersection at all. His car was then also hit by a car that was traveling down Abercorn. His car finally came to rest 300 yards from where he'd been sitting. :eek: The first policeman on the scene was useless, he began puking his guts out at the sight. Two Coast Guard members who happened across the scene were the first real response.

There was very little information at first. His wife was visiting her mother up in Vermont and got a call from her landlord saying that there was a sign on their door saying that the next of kin of Mr. (name) should contact the Savannah police department immediately. She got a friend from Jacksonville, FL to drive up to Savannah to see what was going on. When he called me, it sounded as if my friend wasn't going to make it through the night. What an awful night that was. :(

However, he was lucky. He did make it through the night, and the next day, and the day after that, though he was in a coma for a couple of weeks and had to be sedated when he started to come out of it because he started struggling violently.

Another week later, they were able to finally get him awake. He had no memory, either of the accident or about six months prior, including his own wedding and the death of his mother. Every day he couldn't remember the previous day. That did provide some of the few humorous moments (one morning his wife walked in and introduced herself to him as she had to every morning, and he said "I'm married to you? That's funny, I don't find you at all attractive." :rofl:) but also caused him the agony of having to re-learn of the death of his mother, over and over again, every day.

After six more weeks in the hospital, he was finally released. He had started to remember things between days, but still had a lot of issues. The first time I went to visit him (after he was out), we were going to cook brats on the grill and he was having trouble comprehending the steps involved in lighting the grill and cooking and serving the brats.

He was in physical therapy for another six months and had several surgeries to deal with as well. After a year, he was mostly back to normal (people who experience a traumatic brain injury never get back to 100%), but the brain damage has had some lasting effects. It changed his personality enough that he was no longer able to get along with his wife, they are now divorced. He also has trouble remembering to-dos and calendar events like he used to, so he keeps a little black book with him all the time. Mostly coping, but all that for some idiot who wouldn't take a cab home.

Then, we have incidents like others have posted, where the victims don't survive. That affects dozens of other people's lives. Kids, parents, siblings, friends... All for some idiot who wouldn't take a cab home.

I have zero tolerance for drunk driving. I firmly believe that it's a much bigger problem than "those in charge" would like to admit, and it's obvious that current penalties are not a deterrent. Heck, in Wisconsin driving drunk is not even a criminal offense! (Only state that's true.)

IMHO, every establishment that sells alcohol should collect the keys for every vehicle that enters their parking lot (or even every patron), and not release them without a successful breathalyzer (and not to .10, but .04 or less). In addition, the penalties should be increased dramatically. Mandatory prison time for first offenders, automatic confiscation of owned vehicles (and not allowed to buy any more) along with more prison for second offenders, and the third time, game over - life in the slammer. Extreme? Maybe, but obviously there are many people whose lives have been affected by drunk drivers and the current penalties are not adequate deterrents. :mad:

T&Ps going out to you and the friends and families of those beautiful women.

I was never impartial to drunks, wifebeaters and child-abusers. Never even tried to be.

To hell with them all.

-JD
It warms my heart to think of how you must have treated those scumbags.

No need to go into details, I'll use my imagination!

Best way for a free meal and to be a GREAT friend is to be the Designated Driver, done it a few times.

Sorry for your loss man....but I have to ask after reading the article, it seems as if the driver of the Toyota (Tolo?) failed to yield, not the Infiniti. Am I reading that right?

Though I do see that the driver of the Infiniti may have been drunk, just trying to understand the accident.

I am soo sorry to hear about your losses - both Troy's recent loss and JD's in the past.

To hell with them all.

-JD

I agree completely.

Sorry for your loss man....but I have to ask after reading the article, it seems as if the driver of the Toyota (Tolo?) failed to yield, not the Infiniti. Am I reading that right?

Though I do see that the driver of the Infiniti may have been drunk, just trying to understand the accident.

All it takes is for someone to run a light or stop sign and the innocent get broadsided. BTDT.

Tom,

They've since changed the article text... earlier, it said that Tolo had a protected green arrow for the turn. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Troy,

My sympathies go out to you and your family. May they rest in peace.

CowboyPilot said:

To hell with them all.

-JD

In-freaking-deed. When Jessie (my wife) tells me what she deals with at work (domestic violence crisis counselor), my stomach turns.

-Andrew

Sad deal, Troy. My prayers go out to their families and to you.

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. No punishment is too
severe.

RT

Tom,

They've since changed the article text... earlier, it said that Tolo had a protected green arrow for the turn. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Gotcha, yeah we will have to wait and see.

Back