Damaged Screw Removers

Mike Schneider

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Craftsman (Sears) damaged screw remover "bits" are on sale, $10 instead of $20. Part number 52154 contains three "bits" that cover #6 through #14 screws. -- Mike

Last edited:
To remove a stripped screw head you can drill a 1/8-inch hole in the head and use a 1/8-inch pipe easy out (there are square and tapered) tap it in the hole and back the screw out. Pipe easy outs work better than the round ones that don’t bite hard enough. I have use the same one for close to 20-years now with out breaking it.

Stache

Yes, you could say I do take care of my tools. I went to the shop and looked in my original Snap-On toolbox, which is 30 plus years old and pick up my old brass hammer and wood handle screwdriver. The old toolbox is full of memories as is each tool I have used. Many of the tools I purchase one at a time paycheck to paycheck. Some of the tools were purchased just for a peculiar aircraft or job I performed. I even found the first dollar I made wrapped up and taped to the wrench tray. Aviation has been good to me over the years. I get up everyday and thank God for pilots.

Stache

Mike Schneider said:
Stache, it says a lot about your knowing how to take care of equipment. I'll bet you have many tools that have some age on them, but look like they just came from the store. -- Mike
The quality and the care of the tools is the measure of the craftsman. Pride may be the wrong word (because it connotes a lack of humility) but there is a certain satisfaction in having good quality tools kept in good condition. It is an expression of confidence that you can perform any job.

Back