Damaged aircraft windows with paint remover.

U

Unregistered

Hi

I damaged my windshield with a paint remover (can was mislabeled). Is there anything that can be done to fix the problem besides installing a new window?

Thanks

James

How bad is it?

My 182's door windows had been damaged by paint remover when I bought it. It was pretty bad.

I buff all my "glass" with NuFinish about once a month, inside and out, and over the course of a year or two, the damage was significantly lessened...but by no means completely mitigated.

I finally replaced them a couple of years ago at annual...10 years later.

Hi

I damaged my windshield with a paint remover (can was mislabeled). Is there anything that can be done to fix the problem besides installing a new window?

Thanks

James
As in paint stripper - methinks you are screwed but more experienced

Mineral spirits, sometimes known as 'paint thinner' or otherwise used to clean paint of hands and tools can be used for plexi. Saver than lacquer thinner, acetone and such. Paint remover, not so much.

I've been warned to always test such ops on a corner before commiting to totally screwing up. Have done both. Good Luck!

How bad is it?

My 182's door windows had been damaged by paint remover when I bought it. It was pretty bad.

I buff all my "glass" with NuFinish about once a month, inside and out, and over the course of a year or two, the damage was significantly lessened...but by no means completely mitigated.

I finally replaced them a couple of years ago at annual...10 years later.

Which Nu Finish, the polish or the scratch doctor? I've got a few minor scratches on my windshield I'd like to take care of.

Which Nu Finish, the polish or the scratch doctor? I've got a few minor scratches on my windshield I'd like to take care of.
Caution, he said "door windows", your tolerance of scratches, etc is probably lower on the windshield vs side windows.

The polish in the orange bottle...it works wonders in taking small scratches out of plexi...patience and repeated applications.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back