Dallas Stars' Rich Peverley has "Cardiac Event" on Bench

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
DALLAS -- Dallas Stars center Rich Peverley collapsed on the bench Monday during the first period of the team's game against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Peverley was immediately taken to a hallway behind both benches leading to the Dallas locker room, and he quickly regained consciousness after he was attended to by a team of medical personnel. He later was hospitalized in stable condition, the Stars announced.

The game was postponed after a lengthy delay.

Peverley, 31, had a procedure prior to the season to correct an irregular heartbeat, which forced him to miss training camp and Dallas' season opener on Oct. 3 against the Florida Panthers. He just finished a shift at 5:50 of the first period moments before he collapsed on the bench.

Stars coach Lindy Ruff immediately knew something was seriously wrong and started yelling for medical attention.

"I was scared," Ruff said. "My first emotion was we need somebody here real quick. When he dropped, it was red alert, don't worry about the game, don't worry about anything else, just turn around and scream for a doctor and that's all. It was just, 'Let's get him the help he needs,' and they came and got him the help. For me, it was something I don't want to witness again."

Once Peverley was in the hallway, the medical team gave him oxygen, administered intravenous fluids, performed chest compressions and defibrillated him, which restored a rhythm to his heart on the first attempt.
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79583523/

As proof that hockey players are bad ass, the team doctor said that after he was revived, Peverley asked how much time was left in the period, and wanted to get back in the game. HE WAS DEFIBRILLATED IN THE HALLWAY! :hairraise:

A baseball player goes on the 18-day disabled list for a hangnail. Just sayin'. :yes:

Best wishes to Rich Peverley.

Scary stuff, I remember when Jiri Fischer collapsed.

Back