Dallas area training/rentals?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Whether or not work cooperates with me - I have an upcoming project that's going to put me in the Dallas (Lancaster) area for several months. Not being home, I don't want to stop flying for a while and it would be good to fly in another place.

Does anyone have experience with clubs or rental organizations in the Dallas area? I'll be there long enough that a club might make sense if there's not a big buy in.

Thoughts?

Head up to the Lancaster airport and ask around. I know there are a couple of planes for rent there, but they arent advertised very well. i think its mostly word of mouth or papers posted on bulliten boards.

after that, check out HQZ. Mesquite aviation is great, ask for Josh. He's a really nice guy, and great instructor.

There's also Monarch at TKI and ADS

Head up to the Lancaster airport and ask around. I know there are a couple of planes for rent there, but they arent advertised very well. i think its mostly word of mouth or papers posted on bulliten boards.

after that, check out HQZ. Mesquite aviation is great, ask for Josh. He's a really nice guy, and great instructor.

Midway Regional (KJWY) would be another good choice near Lancaster.

Cool, thanks...I've done the "go on the road for work and not fly for six months" thing before and I don't want to repeat it...

I'm liking what I see from RFC...

Last edited:
I'm liking what I see from RFC...

I'm thinking more and more about joining. ADS used to seem so far away, but now I get there pretty quick with the 183/GBT route (and that will only improve when the 183 expansion is complete). Having access to a faster plane would be nice for longer trips--Gaston's run in a 172 seemed to take longer than necessary. ADS is also a common destination for the Angel Flight missions I like to fly...

What are the alternatives for a HP aircraft in DFW? There are a couple out there, but most don't just let you take them for the weekend. Monarch had/has a T182T and T206H I used to rent. At the time the 206 was $315 an hour and the 182 something like $250. This is when RFC was $165 for a Bo.

This is a BIG problem in GA IMO.

What are the alternatives for a HP aircraft in DFW? There are a couple out there, but most don't just let you take them for the weekend. Monarch had/has a T182T and T206H I used to rent. At the time the 206 was $315 an hour and the 182 something like $250. This is when RFC was $165 for a Bo.

This is a BIG problem in GA IMO.

Two R182 (retract 182s) at MarcAir at 52F, both available for trips with no daily minimums. www.marcairaviation.com

If you're looking at clubs, Six4aSix at FTW has a Cherokee Six and a C177.

There are Bonanzas in the RFC Dallas flying club at Addison. www.rfcdallas.com

Metro Flyer Club at Denton (DTO) has a 182P and V35 Bonanza: http://www.metroflyersclub.com/

I'm sure there's more.

Metro flyer at DTO is an equity club with 16 positions. Last I heard there was a slot open. $3000 or $3500 buyin, $300 a month dues, $100/hr wet for the 182. Unknown if there is a fuel surcharge.

On the C177 front... I've been looking closer at those and am gravitating there. I'm open to talking with folks about teaming up on one.

Metro flyer at DTO is an equity club with 16 positions. Last I heard there was a slot open. $3000 or $3500 buyin, $300 a month dues, $100/hr wet for the 182. Unknown if there is a fuel surcharge.

On the C177 front... I've been looking closer at those and am gravitating there. I'm open to talking with folks about teaming up on one.

Looks like you are also on the line for the memberships outstanding debt (up to $15K).

I would rather dip my foot in the pool.

Back