Dallas area layover?

kaiser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The pilot formerly known as Cool Beard Guy
I’m flying GA from Chicago to San Antonio tomorrow. Wx forecast now seems to favor me planning west of great circle line, which will place my final fuel stop in/around Dallas metro (or really anywhere north of Waco). South Texas seems like it’ll be stormy again, so I’m looking for advice for airports that are fairly easy to get in/out but have some amenities in case I am stuck for a few hours.

ideas? Or perhaps, places to avoid?

For the DFW metro area, best priced fuel is traditionally KGLE, KSWI, or KXBP. All three have a nice terminal building if you get stuck waiting on weather to go by.

I am in KDTO if you need my help.

I've flown into Dallas Executive (KRBD) and used Ambassador Jet Center, but my trips have always involved an overnight stay in downtown Dallas for one reason or another.

Fuel is pricier than places on the outskirts of the Bravo, but they have a great pilot lounge to relax in, a good restaurant on the field and the staff has always been helpful and accommodating. That being said, I think the places @AggieMike88 suggested would be perfectly suitable for what you're likely looking for.

Sulphur Springs (KSLR) has a decent restaurant (The Red Barn) within walking distance. The airport is about 50 miles east of Dallas and is well managed with good fuel prices and usually courtesy cars available.

It has been "Texas Airport (or FBO?) of the year" at least one recent year. Also, they make Legend Cubs there. Call ahead and they might give you a tour.

Sulphur Springs (KSLR) has a decent restaurant (The Red Barn) within walking distance. The airport is about 50 miles east of Dallas and is well managed with good fuel prices and usually courtesy cars available.

It has been "Texas Airport (or FBO?) of the year" at least one recent year. Also, they make Legend Cubs there. Call ahead and they might give you a tour.
Red Barn is very good food. But have cash on you as they don’t do plastic or virtual.

I’ll add Lancaster (KLNC) as another spot for affordable fuel. Currently showing $3.75 for fuel.

I’ll add Lancaster (KLNC) as another spot for affordable fuel. Currently showing $3.75 for fuel.
Just a thought. There are "cheap" airports, and then you sometimes find out that "cheap" - isn't. I often land in the Midland, TX area. It seems cheaper often to land at Odessa, or some other satellite airport, but when we actually do the analysis, if we are doing an overnight, it's often cheaper to land at MAF and use the courtesy car to get dinner, then leave our stuff at the hotel on the field, and get a ride back and then ride the shuttle back in the morning. Yes, we spend more money on fuel and tie-downs, but less on transportation and hotels.

Thanks all for the intel!

I have heard of the Red Barn and want to hit it sometime. Perhaps on my return trip.

My Texas fuel stop ended up being KXBP. Very nice and clean (runway and terminal building). I was amused by the fact the fuel pumps allowed multiple planes to roll up. I have never seen that before - maybe I need to get out more o_O

The stop (really all of my stops) ended up being splash and goes. I was about 1 hour behind from the get-go and the lower / IFR weather improved along my entire route as I progressed ... for the most part.... On my final leg XBP down to San Antonio I probably broke my record for % of flight on deviation vs on the flight plan.

2B7AA444-2548-4675-8472-79B36F71E70B.jpeg
(I filed and was cleared direct, then D-> Waco D-> Destination, etc etc)

Back