Dallas area DPE recommendations?

Yeti Niner Five

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Yeti Niner Five
I'm getting close to my private pilot checkride. I'm curious to know if any of you have recommendations for an area DPE. My first choice is off to Alaska for a vacation. So, I'm looking for an alternate.

Someone has suggested Carol Walker in Midlothian. So, I'd be particularly interested in any experience with her.

Last edited:
I had an awesome DPE
Dale Williamson out of Denton (KDTO)

He was fair, totally not out to fail me, and he flew a good 10 minutes showing me some advanced stuff on the checkride.

During the Oral if I didn't know an answer, rather than getting annoyed, he saw it is a teachable moment and would go to the chalkboard and help me understand things.

I have nothing but good things to say about my check ride with Dale.

It wasn't a Private ride, but I did my MEI with Lon Sauter, he's also out of or near Denton. It was one of my most enjoyable rides, actually had fun. He was exactly as a DPE should be (in my opinion) - personable, easy to talk with, and conducted the checkride right out of the book. Nothing surprising.

I've heard other folks near me say good things about Lon Sauter.

I'd say Carol is a good choice. She did my glider checkride, and she is calm, straightforward, and fair. If you want to know what to expect from her, just look at the PTS. While she isn't a nit picker, she does stick to the standards.

Thanks, guys. I wrapped up the last endorsements yesterday and am ready to schedule the checkride. I appreciate the help.

Hoping for good weather!

I'm getting close to my private pilot checkride. I'm curious to know if any of you have recommendations for an area DPE. My first choice is off to Alaska for a vacation. So, I'm looking for an alternate.

Someone has suggested Carol Walker in Midlothian. So, I'd be particularly interested in any experience with her.

Haven't done a check ride with Carol but I have been friends with her for over 12 years. She is very knowledgeable and fair in my opinion. Plus she is one hell of a pilot and a lot of fun to fly with. Would also highly recommend her for tailwheel transition if you ever decide to pursue conventional gear flying.

I'm looking forward to meeting her. I've heard good things.

I've got about 8 hours in a Super Decathlon and loved it! I'm definitely going to get the tailwheel endorsement following the PPL.

I would love to get the glider add-on. So many things to do, so little time and money!

Did the checkride with Carol today. I can't say enough good things. She was exactly as described, tough but fair. If you want a thorough check of your skills, I'd recommend her!

Happy to say that I left with a little white piece of paper with the word "Airman" on it!

Did the checkride with Carol today. I can't say enough good things. She was exactly as described, tough but fair. If you want a thorough check of your skills, I'd recommend her!

Happy to say that I left with a little white piece of paper with the word "Airman" on it!

Write up?!?

Congrats! I look forward to seeing you down there working on that glider rating...

Hulk, I'll happily put the story up. Sounds like a good weekend thing to do.

Lindberg, I think Carol sold me on the soaring idea. It looks like a blast. I didn't realize how capable those machines were!

Back