Dakota Upgrade

GaryP1007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GaryP1007
potentially doing a G5 upgrade and engine monitor upgrade on an 86 Dakota. Any helpful thoughts on speed mods beyond wheel pants for the Dakota?

Speed mods for a Dakota? Trade it for a Mooney or a Bo. :)

I’ve looked at doing something to help speed and might do gap seals if it was headed to a paint shop. A LoPresti cowl would be the best thing but big $$$ and a field approval since it’s for a turbo arrow rather than a turbo Dakota. Of course that isn’t an option for the normally aspirated folks.

Be real circumspect on the wheel pants. The Piper pants are pretty good on the taper wings. On the other hand Piper doesn’t stock the plastic parts for the nosewheel pant last time I checked. Of course the plastic parts are the ones broken by careless linemen...

potentially doing a G5 upgrade and engine monitor upgrade on an 86 Dakota. Any helpful thoughts on speed mods beyond wheel pants for the Dakota?
Welcome to POA. Good Luck with the Potentially upgrades!!

Try the knots to you web page. Not much benefit versus cost ,for speed mods on a Dakota.

Sounds like a ton of money for a not really noticeable speed difference.

Especially the wheel pants, IMO for the most part they can quickly become more trouble than they are worth.

If you're going a long ways, I'd just aim for a rear CG when loading and call it a day.

Sounds like a ton of money for a not really noticeable speed difference.

Especially the wheel pants, IMO for the most part they can quickly become more trouble than they are worth.

If you're going a long ways, I'd just aim for a rear CG when loading and call it a day.
What’s the real world data suggest for rear CG vs front/center? Curious.

Try the knots to you web page. Not much benefit versus cost ,for speed mods on a Dakota.
You may be correct, just wanted some real world insight rather than relying on a brochure. Thanks.

The G5 PFD is awesome and I'll add the HSI + GAD29 later this year. The basic PA-28 airframe gives pretty similar airspeed with only marginal improvements with HP increases (a 180 HP Cherokee is only marginally faster that a 150 HP Cherokkee), though there is an advantage in useful load at the expense of the higher fuel burn. You can pay and awful lor for all those speed mods, but frankly you'll never recoup your investment in either time or money.

What’s the real world data suggest for rear CG vs front/center? Curious.
In my F model Mooney, it's worth nearly five knots.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

52697-1d0c6e9dd585aa3b55964320c25f6842.jpg

This is my current thinking on the Dakota upgrades. However, I only have a 430 as a panel mounted GPS. Thoughts on a larger GPS without breaking the bank?

Attachments

• IMG_4846.jpg
    IMG_4846.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 23
unlucky for you and me, piper never made a dakota rg. from the other thread you made it appears youve grown frustrated with cruise speeds in the 130s. the dakota is pretty decently faired compared to the pre 78 wheel panted and Hershey bar winged variants. as such, consider just upgrading airplanes, because that dakota aint getting any faster unless you tuck the gear. a lance or 182rg would keep you in the same capital acquisition ballpark as the dakota while attaining the cruise speed improvement you seek withouy giving up useful load and climb rate, like you would with any 4 banger offering. then you can talk about avionics upgrade. Understand youre going to increase your mx expenditures, especially with the 182rg gear and the eventual cracked pivot $$$. i suppose you could also consider a comanche 260B or later if you can find one, again provided youre willing to go the antiquy mx route. personally i would go for the lance out of the three. but im an arrow owner so i prefer vero beach cheapness over lock haven complexity.

unlucky for you and me, piper never made a dakota rg. from the other thread you made it appears youve grown frustrated with cruise speeds in the 130s. the dakota is pretty decently faired compared to the pre 78 wheel panted and Hershey bar winged variants. as such, consider just upgrading airplanes, because that dakota aint getting any faster unless you tuck the gear. a lance or 182rg would keep you in the same capital acquisition ballpark as the dakota while attaining the cruise speed improvement you seek withouy giving up useful load and climb rate, like you would with any 4 banger offering. then you can talk about avionics upgrade. Understand youre going to increase your mx expenditures, especially with the 182rg gear and the eventual cracked pivot $$$. i suppose you could also consider a comanche 260B or later if you can find one, again provided youre willing to go the antiquy mx route. personally i would go for the lance out of the three. but im an arrow owner so i prefer vero beach cheapness over lock haven complexity.
All good input. I just cant seem to get the bang for the buck that I was hoping. To really get 170+ speeds it opens up a whole new level of "spend".

All good input. I just cant seem to get the bang for the buck that I was hoping. To really get 170+ speeds it opens up a whole new level of "spend".
Sorry if you already said this, but if you're just looking for a four place speedster without a lot of luggage, or a two to three place with tons of luggage, I would look seriously at an Ovation 1. 190+ on 16gph. Next to the J, the Ovation is probably the best airplane Mooney ever built.
These can be had for the 120k-170k range.
It's not a family truckster like the Dakota or 210, rather it's like a Porsche Cayenne.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back