Daily weather tutorial, blog, or whatever

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
Anytime I come up with a breakthrough idea, I discover that someone else has already thought of it.

Today, I hope to take advantage of this lifelong Murphyesque dilemma. I have a great idea for a website, so I'm sure someone has already thought of it. All I need to do is locate it.

So, has anyone ever found a website/blog/whatever that, in a pilot-friendly format, examines the CONUS-scale weather picture and explains what's going on at a more detailed level than the nightly news?

I feel like a WX idiot, and staring at daily maps, TAFs, etc., hasn't really been helping me develop a big-picture perspective of the weather. I figure a daily dose of a "pilot's weather digest" would be a great help.

Matthew

So, has anyone ever found a website/blog/whatever that, in a pilot-friendly format, examines the CONUS-scale weather picture and explains what's going on at a more detailed level than the nightly news?

Matthew

The Accuweather pro subscription site has lots of analysis plus Joe Bastardi. It costs, though -- around $150/yr but is well worth it for both short and long range discussions.

http://proa.accuweather.com

I think he specified in a pilot-friendly format. What the hex is a GOMEX MSTR? That means something to these weather geeks, but doesn't help me understand what is driving the weather anymore.

Gotta link to a glossary for that?

...CNTRL CONUS...
A POTENT SYS IS XPCTD TO PULL OUT OF THE W AND TAP INTO THE GOMEX
MSTR...BRINGING THE THREAT OF SN MAINLY TO MUCH OF THE MID MS VLY
ON D3/THU. THIS SYS WILL ALSO BRING THE THREAT OF SEVER WX TO
PORTIONS OF THE LWR MS VLY AND SE D3/THU TO D4/FRI. LATER IN THE
PD...LOOK FOR THE NEXT CHANCE FOR WELL ORG PCPN TO BEGIN
DEVELOPING IN THE ERN PLAINS/WRN MS VLY WITH THE BEST INLAND FLO
FROM THE GOMEX BY THE END OF THE PD AS AN AMPLIFIED PAC THRU
PUSHES INTO THE ROCKIES.

how hard can it be to read? us backward folk in MS know that GOMEX is GULF OF MEXICO and MSTR is MOISTURE, certainly no more cryptic than a TAF or a METAR which supposedly is pilot-friendly

getting it from the source you avoid the various intepretations of the middlemen, even if it does require some additional effort on the part of the end user

I think he specified in a pilot-friendly format. What the hex is a GOMEX MSTR? That means something to these weather geeks, but doesn't help me understand what is driving the weather anymore.

Gotta link to a glossary for that?

how hard can it be to read? us backward folk in MS know that GOMEX is GULF OF MEXICO and MSTR is MOISTURE, certainly no more cryptic than a TAF or a METAR which supposedly is pilot-friendly

getting it from the source you avoid the various intepretations of the middlemen, even if it does require some additional effort on the part of the end user
I agree it's decipherable. But why does DISCUSSION need to take place in contractions? Are they charged by the character?

Steve, I'll give the NOAA discussions a shot and see if the big picture starts to sink in. Knowing my intellectual capability, though, I think it's going to be a long shot. I'd rather see maps with color, lines, and annotations.

By the way, check out the wind shear over Ames right now:

Attachments

• wind shear.JPG
    wind shear.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 29
http://www.chesavtraining.com/forums/index.php

Scott is a weather expert and CFI who excels at explaining the mysteries of weather and forecasting to pilots. There is some free stuff on the forum, or you can subscribe to have total access and to ask questions. I've found Scott's work very informative and helpful.

We're gettting some of that velocity gradient down this way this morning.

I have faith in you, anybody that can land at night at 3M0 using only a blind man's cane is quite capable in my book.:goofy:

Steve, I'll give the NOAA discussions a shot and see if the big picture starts to sink in. Knowing my intellectual capability, though, I think it's going to be a long shot. I'd rather see maps with color, lines, and annotations.

By the way, check out the wind shear over Ames right now:

We're gettting some of that velocity gradient down this way this morning.

I have faith in you, anybody that can land at night at 3M0 using only a blind man's cane is quite capable in my book.:goofy:

im not sure how he did it, my eyes were closed ;)

I agree it's decipherable. But why does DISCUSSION need to take place in contractions? Are they charged by the character?

I think it's an affectation of those who know the ancient mystical runes spewed forth by VAX terminals.

It takes a while to enter all that data in via punchcards, you know....

Matthew,

Just saw this post, but I might have an answer for you by the middle of the summer. I am creating a new web site that I hope to have a daily (Monday through Friday) weather analysis/discussion section. Not sure how it will play out, but it will be specific to aviation...unlike what you might see elsewhere.

I might initially have it be free to my subscribers. Paid members will get the training discussion that explains it all. I can't promise that it will be available every day as I have no guest host when I'm out of town doing flight training. Stay tuned. Those interested, please see the link in my signature below...

I'm gonna check it out. After the Santorum debacle with AccuWeather, I refuse to support them with one nickel of my money. I've been an avid BUFKIT user for a while... but I know I'm barely scratching the surface with it.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back