Daily Aviation Weather

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
This Scott Dennstaedt guy is at it again, and I have a new morning video routine.

He is doing this daily, it's an aviation focused general weather briefing for pilots. It's about 5 to 10 minutes long, focused on the continental contiguous US. The discussion is great because it gives an overview of current conditions across the 48 states, and points out forecast problem areas. I'm hooked.

What I like best about it though, is we as pilots get to see how various forecast tools and charts are used by a weather professional to figure out what is going to happen. The viewer can see when the various charts are used depending on the conditions occurring or about to occur in a specific area. It takes some of the mystery out of weather and really increases SA as far as weather is concerned.

It's good stuff, I had been frustrated coming back to flying a few years ago trying to find a source to better understand forecasting, especially as it applies to go/no go decisions for IFR flights. I stumbled across Scott and his training materials when I found his original briefing product. He now has a product out called EZWxBrief which he uses in these videos.

Enough rambling, check it out, we need to encourage this guy, leave a like on youtube for him.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! Looks like he's covering the contiguous U.S. however, not the continental U.S., which is 49 states.

It doesn't help that they have the same acronym!

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the kind words and the shout out for these videos. Several media outlets are looking to pick this up. Stay tuned.
I hope they do. The weather channel is the absolute worst. Most tv weather in general is garbage and can't tell you what the weather is currently if they're standing outside. That said, Cheryl Scott is the only reason why I watch the local news.

But your stuff is fantastic...even if it's a bit over my head

Last edited:
I stream these on YouTube Live at 7 am each weekday morning. They are roughly 10 minutes long except for Friday which includes a brief weekend outlook. When the live broadcast is done, it gets posted to my EZWxBrief YouTube channel shortly thereafter (~7:15 a.m. eastern time). You can view today's Daily EZ Weather Brief here.
I subscribed to the channel.

Looking forward to see how this will help me with my commercial pilot job “flubering” cardiologists.

No promises there Mike. But you can check out today's video here to see if it helps.
It does help.

provides a good overall picture of what’s happening and a good workflow for additional self briefing.

Here in Charlotte, we have Brad Panovich on WCNC. He's a meteorologist's meteorologist. He's not afraid to roll up his sleeve and throw out a more technical explanation of what is to be expected.
Gotta be honest. I'm not watching watching her for the information.

Here in Charlotte, we have Brad Panovich on WCNC. He's a meteorologist's meteorologist. He's not afraid to roll up his sleeve and throw out a more technical explanation of what is to be expected.
He is pretty good at explaining the weather. My wife even prefers to watch him because of that fact.

Problem forecast areas? Anything downstream of a large body of water. I should keep tabs on the number of completely blown forecasts we have in a year. SKC all day with 0% of precipitation you say? Why are we up to 1/2" of rain? (not today's forecast, but it happens A LOT.)

Back