DA40 (Analog), vs Cessna 172 or Cessna 152 analog for IFR

Renesh Kumaresan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Turb0123
I’m going to be doing IFR soon and I’ve already decided to train using analog. Price wise, Pt141 the minimum is 35 hours, so it’s about 7500$ for the 172/DA40. I know some don’t get the minimum, but I got my ppl over three years in Pt61 with 45hrs. For the 152 it’s about 6000$. I weigh 170 so weight shouldn’t be an issue. But I heard for the 250nm cross country with IFR reserves may be an issue. My instructor should be around 150. I trained in an analog 172, so should I continue in it for IFR. I’m worried that if I train to fly an IFR approach with the DA40’s stick I’ll have the wrong muscle memory. I have flown the DA40 a couple times though.
Thanks

I’m going to be doing IFR soon and I’ve already decided to train using analog. Price wise, Pt141 the minimum is 35 hours, so it’s about 7500$ for the 172/DA40. I know some don’t get the minimum, but I got my ppl over three years in Pt61 with 45hrs. For the 152 it’s about 6000$. I weigh 170 so weight shouldn’t be an issue. But I heard for the 250nm cross country with IFR reserves may be an issue. My instructor should be around 150. I trained in an analog 172, so should I continue in it for IFR. I’m worried that if I train to fly an IFR approach with the DA40’s stick I’ll have the wrong muscle memory. I have flown the DA40 a couple times though.
Thanks
I think scan and procedures are more important than muscle memory. I would choose whatever I was more comfortable with, and what’s most available. I did my IFR in a 152, it’ll work if that’s the route you want to go.

Thanks

Assuming your school only has 3 planes, I would go with the 152, because transitioning to the 172 if there is a scheduling issue would be simple.

If your school has multiple aircraft of the same type, I would choose based on availability. For example, if there are 2 DA40s, 4 similar 172s, and 3 152s then I would stick with the 172s to minimize the risk of scheduling or maintenance canceling or changing a lesson.

If scheduling isn't an issue, fly the cheapest.

If money isn't an issue, then I would fly the DA40, because if you buy a plane (an it is any of the 3 you listed) your insurance won't really care about time in type for a 172 or 152, but it may make things a little cheaper if you buy a DA40. But odds are, if you are training to be a professional pilot, by the time you get to a place to consider buying a DA40 (based on pilot pay), you will have enough hours that time in type won't really matter.

Short answer, only pay more if it reduces the chance of a scheduling issue canceling a lesson.

Back