DA20 owners - Luggage space for XC?

talkingbob

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JonC
Hello,

I became a PP SEL in June of this year and the only aircraft in my area (despite having THREE airports) for rent are:

1. C172
2. J230 (LSA)
3. DA20

The Jabiru J230 is PERFECT ($115/hr, TONS of cargo space, pretty good performer, built in 2010), but has been down for maintenance for over a month and is up for sale.
The C172 is also a 2010, but costs $155/hr and isn't much faster than the Jabiru. Also, the C172 is quite popular, because it is the only IFR-capable plane for rent.

I am hesitant to get checked out on the DA20 due to cargo space (the only downside, really).
Does anyone do "real-world" cross-countries in a DA20 with a passenger? How would this be accomplished?
Does anyone have any photos?

Again, I like the DA20 for safety and speed, but the cargo space seems VERY restrictive.

Thanks in advance,

- Jon

it can be done for day trips or overnights, if you can fit what you need in a small soft suitcase.

But if you cannot travel light, the DA20 is not for you.

But if you cannot travel light, the DA20 is not for you.

Agreed, my first XC was in a DA 20, my instructor, full fuel, myself and a radar unit from an Aztec (we were headed to MIE, where the radar needed to go for repair) and we were just a few lbs from gross.

Thanks for the insights and fast response!

- Jon

In the DA20, most of the would-be baggage space is taken up by the fuselage-mounted fuel tank. Two people for an overnight trip would seem impossible. I also don't like flying it on longer trips because the eating position annoys me.

Not impossible. Just pack light and use soft-sided luggage. Fun to fly.

I got my PPL in a DA20, and been flying it for a while after that. The only problem with space I had in it is you can carry only one passenger, cargo space was not a problem.

I still have a whole bunch of pictures of it, let me know which ones you want.

Out of your three options I recommend the DA20, note that I never flown a J230.

Last edited:
Not impossible. Just pack light and use soft-sided luggage. Fun to fly.
Very much fun to fly. I got my PPL in one and had a blast.

As far as bigger bags... one can always plan ahead and ship items to and from the hotel. I've done that before on a longer trip to a resort when I didn't want to mess with with the bag vs. airport/airline battle.

Had some "emergency" items in my small carry-on, but all worked as planned and didn't need it.

And with soft side luggage, you should be able to fit in two "typcial" roll-on-board bags. Just be aware of your weights since with two "modern" sized humans and full fuel, there are just a limited amount of pounds left over.

Last edited:
Machfly:
Any DA20 photos of a full cargo area would be nice.

All the photos I find online show a (small) empty space with the cargo net.

The Jabiru is fairly passenger friendly for a two-place due to cargo space and lack of a control stick/yoke in your face/lap:
http://www.jabirunw.com/Jabirutrip014.jpg

Mach,

Any photos showing a full cargo area would be appreciated.

The Jabiru isn't bad for an LSA. The one for rent is a leaseback and has all the goodies (Garmin G3x, autopilot, mode-s xponder).

The Jabiru is pax-friendly too, because it doesn't have a control stick/yoke in your face/lap.
Here's a photo showing the J230's cargo space:
jabirunw.com/Jabirutrip014.jpg

I just looked thought all my DA20 pictures and this was the best that I could fined.

img1589i.jpg

I thought I had a better one but I guess not. I always had the passengers take pictures, apparently non of them cared to get a good picture of the cargo area.

Basically the cargo area goes from the headrest to the place where the rear windows end. The floor of the cargo section is on the same level as where the headrest is attached to the seats (there is a fuel tank underneath).

Didn't Jesse fly a DA20 to Sidnaw, one year? Two people and camping gear.
Yes, and I think he took one down to Gastons, too. Of course, Jesse isn't exactly a giant, though he is the World's Greatest Pilot.

UPDATE:

I was invited to by someone to come out to the airport and look at his PA-32-300 (drool...) and brought with me a small carry-on bag to see if it would fit in the DA20.

It seemed that I could almost fit two of them. The choke point was at the entrance of the baggage area though. It was rather tight trying to wedge the bag between the top of the headrests and the cargo area roof.

It would seem entirely possible to put a small carry-on luggage and a backpack in the cargo area of a DA20-C1. In fact, the limiting factor would probably be the 44 Lb. weight limit of the cargo area.

PICS:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=e1bdc07f5f5a14bb&resid=E1BDC07F5F5A14BB!112&parid=root

UPDATE:

I was invited to by someone to come out to the airport and look at his PA-32-300 (drool...) and brought with me a small carry-on bag to see if it would fit in the DA20.

It seemed that I could almost fit two of them. The choke point was at the entrance of the baggage area though. It was rather tight trying to wedge the bag between the top of the headrests and the cargo area roof.

I seem to remember that the headrests could be folded over on at least one of the DA20's I've flown. Granted, it might have been the one I flew with the higher end avionics and interior.

I seem to remember that the headrests could be folded over on at least one of the DA20's I've flown.

You're correct. Especially the ones with the higher headrest as shown in Bob's photo. Feel behind the upper center and you should find a latch that will allow the headrest to tilt forward.

Think outside the box. Get some soft gym type bags and use the area on the floor in front of the seat' It is suprising how much you can get in that area in most airplane plus it is on the forward end of the CG. On my RV7 it gets right up to the aft CG at full gross and I can put good size bag on each side in front of the seat and get it forward a bit. Don

I seem to remember that the headrests could be folded over on at least one of the DA20's I've flown. Granted, it might have been the one I flew with the higher end avionics and interior.
I have access to a DA-20 and it as well has headrests that fold over. I personally could do a X/C comfortably in it.

Ryan

We have an older (S/N 0007) Kat, no headrests and higher seats. Less than ideal but still a fine machine.

UPDATE:

But could you fit the bags in the -32? :confused:

OK, just kidding! :wink2::rofl::goofy:

-Skip

This DA20 is a 2005 DA20-C1.

The folding headrests seem like a good idea. It would seem that this point the limiting factor would be the 44 Lb. weight limit.

Skip:
Ha ha indeed. The PA-32-300 is nice. The one I looked at had the club seating too...

- Jon

This DA20 is a 2005 DA20-C1.

The folding headrests seem like a good idea.
Look for the latch the next time you get a chanec to visit the aircraft. The aircraft I trained in was a 2006 model of the DA20-C1 and it had them.

Folding the headrest down was the simplest way to get to the high tech fuel measuring device.

UPDATE (#2)

I am now MUCH more familiar with the DA-C1. The one I'm getting a rental checkout in has the gross weight increase due to having a specific prop (supplement 4 in the AFM).

And yes, both headrests fold down nicely.

The "high tech" device used for fuel measuring is literally a wooden rod with markings. It works though!

I am pleasantly surprised by the DA20-C1's speed, non-obstructed visibility and cargo space.

- Jon

UPDATE (#2)

I am now MUCH more familiar with the DA-C1. The one I'm getting a rental checkout in has the gross weight increase due to having a specific prop (supplement 4 in the AFM).

And yes, both headrests fold down nicely.

The "high tech" device used for fuel measuring is literally a wooden rod with markings. It works though!

I am pleasantly surprised by the DA20-C1's speed, non-obstructed visibility and cargo space.

- Jon

They're great little airplanes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

If you can fit it in the trunk of an early Miata you can put it in the cargo area of a DA-20.

Sorry, but no way. I can get a scuba tank, BC, weights, fins, etc. and dry suit into my Miata trunk. No way that would fit into a DA-20.

How long will they allow you to be gone in a rented DA20? I go to Oshkosh for a week with a carry-on bag! An overnight trip should be no problem.

Then again, if your passenger is female, the definition of "packing light" may change...

How long will they allow you to be gone in a rented DA20? I go to Oshkosh for a week with a carry-on bag! An overnight trip should be no problem.

Then again, if your passenger is female, the definition of "packing light" may change...

The rental agreement has 3 hours/day minimums, but I asked about it and they don't strictly enforce that. "Just don't abuse the privilege" type thing. Taking a plane "for the weekend" seems a-ok.

My pax IS female, but after explaining the limitations (one small carry-on no more than 20 Lbs), she said that would be no problem!

Back