Da U.P.?

Where is the plane?

Alaska - left until I can get her later. After the miles I put in today I wish I had left the Honda and brought the Cessna. But I would need an Aztec to carry all the crap in the back and on top of the car.

Let us know when you get settled and where you settle. We plan on being up that way Memorial Day weekend. Maybe you'll even be on the mainland then.

Let me know if you want a co-pilot for that trip to get the 170. Can't imagine a better way to spend 25 hours in a GA plane.

You must be in the U.P. by now.
Feel free to come down to 6Y9 anytime. Really ,you should bring down your 170, great plane for the U.P. There are a bunch of pilots that fly out of Ishpeming near Marquette (Johnson Field M-61) in cubs,Champs, Chiefs, pacer that I,m sure would like to get to know you ,your 170 would fit right in. There's also a guy up north of CMX that just put in his own strip, he's a County Sheriff and has a Super Cruiser , might want to get to know him, I'll dig out his name and contact info if you have interest.

Finally arrived late last night. Signed the papers on insurance at 10 this morning, house at 11, and met with contractors and tradesmen the rest of the day.

Will definitely head down to Sidnaw one of these weekends to check it out. Came pretty close to missing a turn late last night and seeing it early ;) I think that Frank Sager was telling me about the same person with the private strip.

Last edited:
Welcome to Michigan where you can never figure out the weather.
Tonight and tomorrow rain/snow mix in SW Mi. ,sunny and clear 250 mi. to the north in Da UP. That's why the 906 area code is God's country.

Let us know when you get settled and where you settle. We plan on being up that way Memorial Day weekend. Maybe you'll even be on the mainland then.

Let me know if you want a co-pilot for that trip to get the 170. Can't imagine a better way to spend 25 hours in a GA plane.

Yah, we closed on a house in Houghton next to Tech. On the bubble whether I'll be here or out there that weekend.

I'll keep you in mind for the trip! Still agonizing whether to sell or keep. Everyone keeps asking why I don't have a seaplane :rolleyes: ;)

Give me a call and I might be able to fly to CMX. We can do a tour of the Western UP if you can fit into my DA40. I'll PM my phone number. If your significant other is there I can drop off my wife to give her a tour of the area.

Last edited:
Endless landing opportunities abound in the UP during the winter with skis on that 170!

Do you, or maybe Gary, know if CMX charges a landin fee? I'm pretty sure I read they did a few years back but don't know if they still do.

I'm interested in hearing an "insider's" perspective on Isle Royal. Haven't been yet, but want to get out there at some point.

Endless landing opportunities abound in the UP during the winter with skis on that 170!

Do you, or maybe Gary, know if CMX charges a landin fee? I'm pretty sure I read they did a few years back but don't know if they still do.

I'm interested in hearing an "insider's" perspective on Isle Royal. Haven't been yet, but want to get out there at some point.
No landing fees anywhere in the U.P. as far as I know. CMX is a great little airport. I think he will really like it here.

BTDT. It most certain isn't. Out the window below you is fine. Out the window next to you is no good. Out the windshield in front of you is always bad.

Under the correct conditions, I'll disagree. Getting orographic lift at about one wingspan from the hillside is a good thing. A little canyon flying that puts terrain in front of you is not so bad when you know where the exit is. The thing is to fly overhead beforehand so you know what's what (and where).

If I'm looking at terrain out the windshield it means I've been forced down to it by cloud cover. Remember, Eastern mountains make lots and lots of weather, and plenty of bumps too. If I'm down there it is only because I have to be. That also means there are limitations to how high I can go. You can have it. Fe.

BTDT. It most certain isn't. Out the window below you is fine. Out the window next to you is no good. Out the windshield in front of you is always bad.

Out the window below you is kinda boring.

Out the window next to you is AWESOME... As long as you have some mountain training so you can stay out of the downdrafts and big bumps.

Out the window in front of you is awesome unless you're about to run into it. But that's why we have flight controls and brains, so that we don't run into it.

(Hmmm. I need a good excuse to blow a few dozen Benjamins on another west coast trip one of these days.)

If I'm looking at terrain out the windshield it means I've been forced down to it by cloud cover. Remember, Eastern mountains make lots and lots of weather, and plenty of bumps too.

Wha...? I thought we were talking about flying further west than the UP, which the "Eastern mountains" most certainly ain't... :no:

Out the window in front of you is awesome unless you're about to run into it.

Like this?

GoingDown.jpg

Wha...? I thought we were talking about flying further west than the UP, which the "Eastern mountains" most certainly ain't... :no:

We were talking about terrain, but hadn't really specified a location. Still don't like the stuff out my windshield.

We were talking about terrain, but hadn't really specified a location.

Au contraire... The thread is about the UP, and...

Most beautiful place I've flown over by a pretty good margin.

Youse needs to fly just a tad further west...

Terrain is no longer beautiful when you're viewing it though the windshield in front of you.

Thus, the location was specified as "further west than the UP" which, as I said already,

the "Eastern mountains" most certainly ain't... :no:

;)

Under the correct conditions, I'll disagree. Getting orographic lift at about one wingspan from the hillside is a good thing. A little canyon flying that puts terrain in front of you is not so bad when you know where the exit is. The thing is to fly overhead beforehand so you know what's what (and where).

I'll dog-pile on here too. Out the front window happens when there are curved canyons. And turns to be made to go around things while there are other chunks of cumulo-granite ahead.

And of course in a nice safe healthy spin, the windshield is usually full of earth going round and round...

Earth in the front window is fine if there's sky somewhere else to turn to. ;)

I'll dog-pile on here too.

That'll be 2 minutes and 10,000 words in the penalty box on Nate for piling on. Yup, I know the standard is 1,000 words but it is Nate...

I'll dog-pile on here too. Out the front window happens when there are curved canyons. And turns to be made to go around things while there are other chunks of cumulo-granite ahead.

And of course in a nice safe healthy spin, the windshield is usually full of earth going round and round...

Earth in the front window is fine if there's sky somewhere else to turn to. ;)

And one way runways in canyons.

You will have to get the state registration sticker. They will send you a Michigan aiprort guide. And they allege to send the state Aeronautical chart as well, but I've never recieved one.

Yesterday not only did I receive my 2013 Michigan aeronautical chart in the mail (missed the 2012 cycle) but I received a call that after 11 months on the waiting list a t-hangar opened up for me at KCMX. Woot!

Back