DA-40 What Do I need as a PPL?

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
I have my ticket PPL SEL.

I'm not familiar with the Diamond DA 40. I know it's a G1000. I'm not sure if it's complex or high performance. Can anyone shed some light? All I know is that it has a good cruise speed and that got me interested.

Fixed gear, constant speed prop, 180hp. So I believe you will need complex due to the prop. We will need someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Complex means it has a retractable gear, flaps and a constant speed prop. so you're all good to go.

And only some DA-40s have constant speed props. But regardless, regular PP-ASEL works with no endorsements.

So no retractable landing gear = no complex. Meaning I can just hop into one and go? What about the constant speed prop, I have limited knowledge on that. Is it pretty idiot proof?

I have about 6 hours as there was a time both da20 were in shop and was doing dual cross country. If you know the diamonds then you are learning the g1000 and the constant speed. It flies really similar to da20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want to get good at the basic functions of the G1000 Like how to change the transponder code. There are some youtube videos

So no retractable landing gear = no complex. Meaning I can just hop into one and go? What about the constant speed prop, I have limited knowledge on that. Is it pretty idiot proof?
In order for it to be complex you need all three(retractable landing gear, controllable pitch propeller, and flaps). For a seaplane you need controllable pitch propeller and flaps. If you only have two out of the three for a land plane(example: the DA-40), it is not a complex airplane.

I wouldn't recommend just hopping in a new airplane like that without some form of instruction given that you have no experience with a constant speed propeller. Not sure if you have experience with a G-1000 but that will take some getting use to as well.

Last edited:
What about the constant speed prop, I have limited knowledge on that. Is it pretty idiot proof?
While it's not idiot proof, it's no overly complicated but it does take a bit of training to "use it" correctly. Plus a few more emergency procedures to cover (overspeed prop, etc..)

In order for it to be complex you need all three(retractable landing gear, controllable pitch propeller, and flaps). For a seaplane you need controllable pitch propeller and flaps. If you only have two out of the three for a land plane(example: the DA-40), it is not a complex airplane.

I wouldn't recommend just hopping in a new airplane like that without some form of instruction given that you have no experience with a constant speed propeller. Not sure if you have experience with a G-1000 but that will take some getting use to as well.

:yeahthat:

CS propeller is not complicated to use once you learn what to do--but you must go through learning. Landing the '40 also might be a bit of a challenge initially--it likes to stay in the air and you want to be fairly precise with speeds and power settings. Again, it is not especially difficult to land it, but you'll probably need instruction and familiarization before venturing on your own.

Back