DA-40 W&B question

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
When I was learning to fly in the 172, the empty weight of the aircraft always included unusable fuel and oil. I just got a renter checkout in the 40 and the sample problem says something like "oil not added" and subtracts a few pounds. I realize it won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things but I want to get it right. Do the Canadians do it differently? Is oil not included in their empty weight?

Eight quarts are included in the empty weight. So you can subtract however many quarts are in the engine from eight to give you the "oil not added". The weight seems pretty negligible, I have never taken "oil not added" into account when doing W&B, or as Diamond calls it Mass & Balance.

Eight quarts are included in the empty weight. So you can subtract however many quarts are in the engine from eight to give you the "oil not added". The weight seems pretty negligible, I have never taken "oil not added" into account when doing W&B, or as Diamond calls it Mass & Balance.

Thanks. That seems pretty logical. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Sure. Here is the POH explanation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 9.52.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 9.52.45 AM.png
    400.5 KB · Views: 18
Typically you will find them running on 6quarts so you subtract about 3 pounds from that arm if you want.

Because the base units of "weight" in the metric system is the kilogram, which is in fact a mass and not a weight. And the Diamond is an EU product.

Because the base units of "weight" in the metric system is the kilogram, which is in fact a mass and not a weight. And the Diamond is an EU product.

The unit of weight in the metric system is the Newton. Not a base unit and not commonly used.

Different aircraft have it differently -- some include full oil, others do not. You have to check the paperwork to be sure what it is for what you fly.

Back