Cylinder Head Temperatures

If you go onto beechtalk - a forum where the owner base is flying behind big bore continentals, you will find that the general concensus and that has been blessed by GAMI is that the IO550 NEEDS 30-32GPH of fuel flow on takeoff at sea level. Yes this is higher than what is in the continental manual.

I too have had some concerns in the past about deviation from the CAT recommendations like @Grum.Man notes.
There is a legal basis for this concern...and that is why so many mechs refuse to budge, they have a ticket on the line.
But from a softening-of-the-jug-standpoint, plus my own experiences with it, I am certainly now in the beechtalk camp about this.

Beechtalk is an incredibly huge collection of experiences and tons of data. I am constantly impressed with the large number of folks who have studied things in detail - things which most people would never have the ability to research. It's truly a free goldmine of information. Not only that, but the peer-review is intense and productive. Post something that is slightly sketchy and if it is actually false, they will show you why.

This has to be one area that the FAA regulations are not adequately covering. If you stick to their rules on this, it's more likely than not that you will suffer engine damage imo.

Different airplane but very similar engine the Cirrus also needs around 35 to stay cool in climb

That's alot for an NA IO550. Maybe that is for the turbocharged model? The turbo normalized kit from TAT for the IO550 that most Bonanza guys have installed I know requires 35-36 GPH at WOT. With the OP getting just under 26GPH on takeoff this is obviously his problem. When I initially took ownership of my F33A before adjustment mine was set to 27GPH and was running very hot on initial climb. The extra 3GPH made a huge difference.

Back