Cylinder head numbering

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
Is there a standard for numbering cylinder heads between Lycoming and Continental? My #2 and #4 cylinders run the hottest (O-360-A4M) and I assume those are the two in the back. So is cylinder #1 on the left (when looking at the propeller end) or on the right? Then I assume #2 is right behind it.

On a Lycoming when viewed from the front it goes front left to right, then rear left to right. Odd numbers on the left, evens on the right. Your hot cylinders are both on the left side (right side when viewed from the front.)

Continental starts with #1 at the rear left. Odds on the left, evens on the right (when viewed from the front.) At least that's how mine are. There may be exceptions.

When sitting in the pilot's seat, looking forward, a Continental has the #1 cylinder closest to the firewall on the right side, a Lycoming the #1 is on the right side, the farthest from the firewall near the prop

Thanks. So is it weird that my 2 hottest cylinders are on the same side? Does that indicate a baffling issue on that side?

Hotter by how much? What power, leaned or not? I was in the ballpark of 95 degrees cooler on one, CHT. Once more broken-in and leaned, the difference dropped to 44C or so.

Then we have EGT to add to the mix.

Make sure baffle seal isn't blowing back on that side, that the inner cylinder baffle is in place on that side, etc.

Easiest way to remember is...

The copilot is odd.

Continental starts at the back.

Lycoming starts at the front.

Hotter by how much? What power, leaned or not?

Max difference was 49 (hottest vs coldest) on the flight I was analyzing from Saturday. Probably not a big deal? Power was 2380 rpms doing steep turns. I was slightly leaned but not a cruising lean.

I wouldn't worry about a 50* spread. In the Cub world a lot of guys build a ramp in front of #2 to improve cooling at #4. Coincidentally #2 usually improves, too. There's a lot going on in and around a pressure cowl.

Reciprocating+Engine+Design+and+Construction.jpg

Do you have an oil cooler out front blocking or preheating some of the air?

Back