Cylinder Head cost, O-320 engine.

I've used three cylinder rebuilders and each of them claimed they only used first run cylinders except one guy that welds cylinders and returns them to service. He claimed that welded cylinders are better than they were new.

I've not had any issues with over 890 hrs on the Cherokee or about 300 on the Comanche cylinders. They were all rebuilt but I trusted the guys I bought them from. One was the same guy in Texas above and the other is Gibsons in OK.

Problem with overhauled or rebuilt cylinder assemblies is unless you've owned the assembly since new, you have no idea how many times it's been overhauled -- there are no records on that which stay with the assembly. Given the cracking issues on cylinder assemblies on their third or more run, the engine experts I know all suggest avoiding rebuilt or overhauled cylinders of unknown history.

That said, my current cylinders were installed new about 1350 hours ago, and when the time comes, I will most likely have them overhauled and returned rather than replaced with new or exchanged for overhauled cylinders of unknown history.

I've used three cylinder rebuilders and each of them claimed they only used first run cylinders except one guy that welds cylinders and returns them to service. He claimed that welded cylinders are better than they were new.

I've not had any issues with over 890 hrs on the Cherokee or about 300 on the Comanche cylinders. They were all rebuilt but I trusted the guys I bought them from. One was the same guy in Texas above and the other is Gibsons in OK.
I'm with Ron on this issue, there is no way of telling the hours on a cylinder. It is only recently that the after market cylinders had serial numbers.

Plus, if it cracked once, it will crack again.

Back