Cylinder gasket (!)

A little stop leak will fix that.... :)

$ cost to fix the gasket? Cylinder gone from the blow out?
$$ cost to get the C-85?

More power is always a good thing.

$ cost to fix the gasket? Cylinder gone from the blow out?
$$ cost to get the C-85?

More power is always a good thing.

A "gone" cylinder on that engine means the whole crankcase is gone, too. The cylinders are integral to the case, a very rare configuration among aircraft engines of any sort.

A C-85 would really pull far better. The Lyc-O-145 is supposeldy a 65-hp engine, but many of the oldtimers say that it's more like 50 or 55. My Jodel was originally powered by a Lyc O-145 but had to be swapped out for an A-65 before it ever flew; the airplane came out tail-heavy and moving the Lyc forward was really inconvenient due to the bed-mount setup, and the tube angles would have changed and collided with the mags. Sure was a smooth engine, though.

An O-145:
Lycoming-O-145-Engine.jpg

Dan

A "gone" cylinder on that engine means the whole crankcase is gone, too. The cylinders are integral to the case, a very rare configuration among aircraft engines of any sort.

A C-85 would really pull far better. The Lyc-O-145 is supposeldy a 65-hp engine, but many of the oldtimers say that it's more like 50 or 55. My Jodel was originally powered by a Lyc O-145 but had to be swapped out for an A-65 before it ever flew; the airplane came out tail-heavy and moving the Lyc forward was really inconvenient due to the bed-mount setup, and the tube angles would have changed and collided with the mags. Sure was a smooth engine, though.

Dan

Yes, the O-145 is very smooth -- idles nicely at 800-1000 RPM, a bit more chugging at 600 RPM.

I'm planning on upgrading to the C-85.

Yes, the O-145 is very smooth -- idles nicely at 800-1000 RPM, a bit more chugging at 600 RPM.

I'm planning on upgrading to the C-85.

Is there approved data for that? I know of at least one 65CA that has a Don's Dream Machines 0-200/C-85, but is there data for your 65LC (which I realize is largely the same airplane)?

Back