Cutting oil filter open

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
My mechanic and I did the first oil change on N55ZC today, at 33.3 hours tach. Everything looked fine, and we had no troubles with it.

He said he couldn't get the good oil filter can cutter, though, as there's been a strike at Champion for the last year and a half and they're on indefinite backorder. He suggested I clamp the filter in a vise and take a hacksaw, or a Dremel, to it.

What's everyone else doing?

I've used the Sacramento Sky Ranch cutter from cancutter.com. It works great. My A&P friend had a Champion cutter ordered for most of a year before his finally arrived last month. If you use a hacksaw or Dremel, you'll end up with can residue in your filter and not know if it came from the can case or your brand new engine.

The last time I needed one open I used:
dremel500.jpg

Worked fine..slightly messy though...and of course it might contaminate the filter with the metal from cutting it open..but I didn't have that problem.

I chuck them up in my lathe.

He said he couldn't get the good oil filter can cutter, though,

WHAT ????? :confused: Any good A&P either has or can get an oil filter cutter in a couple of days. My goodness. :hairraise:

He suggested I clamp the filter in a vise and take a hacksaw, or a Dremel, to it.

You'll add some contaminants if you do it this way, however they will be added locally and you should be able to detect the difference. Get the cutter and do it right.

I've ordered the Sacramento Air Ranch cutter and holder (now, there's a nifty idea!). We'll see how well it works out. I also ordered the Airwolf media cutter from Aircraft Spruce, along with some other odds and ends.

I've ordered the Sacramento Air Ranch cutter and holder (now, there's a nifty idea!). We'll see how well it works out. I also ordered the Airwolf media cutter from Aircraft Spruce, along with some other odds and ends.
I'll have to look for the holder.

I usually just have the cutter on the ground and then use my oil filter wrench to turn the whole filter.

I chuck up the filter in a bench vise.

I chuck up the filter in a bench vise.
I need to looka t putting a bench in. I moved into a different hangar and there is a little less room so I did not add a work bench. But I think I will this year. I will have to take a shelf down though. That is not a bad thing. The shelf is not used much at all.

We have both the Champion and Airwolfe units. Th Airwolfe is always the favorite unit. Just remember that the cut edges of the filter are sharp as ever.

Regards, Kevin

Back