Customs at PHX (and other overflight questions)

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Has anyone ever done GA customs at PHX?

Considering a flight from Puerto Penasco to the Phoenix area. Rather then diverting to Yuma or Nogales, it would save probably 1 hour of flight time to get the overflight permit and go to either SDL or PHX.

Another question - the overflight rules state that I must be at or above 12,500 unless otherwise directed by ATC. If I am in radar contact, request lower, and ATC clears me lower, is that then acceptable? (I've technically been "directed" by ATC, right?).

Can I pick up my IFR clearance just south of the border from US ATC and use that for border crossing? I don't think Puerto Penasco has a tower, and I think Mexican ATC is non-existant in that area at lower altitudes anyhow.

Shortly after leaving MMPE, after about 6500 ft, you should be able to contact Prescott Radio... to open your plan and coordinate the border crossing squawk code

Why not Tuscon? Won't be too much of a diversion and I have been told it is easier than PHX. I know you can clear in SDL if you schedule it with Kennedy. I don't know anything about departing Rocky point though.

Edit : I could be wrong but I don't think you need a overflight permit to clear in Tucson either.

Last edited:
Yes, you can clear in Tucson. No overfly or special notices needed... nice friendly staff. In & out in 10 minutes last time.

Back