Custer State Park Airport may be closed.

eb87f

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Evan
The South Dakota Game Fish and Parks is considering closing the Custer State Park Airport. There is not much there for facilities but you can camp overnight there. Public comment is being received...
News report here...

I went by there when in the Black Hills last month and really surprised at how remote the field is from the rest of the park and the lack of any way to get to the improved areas.

According to Airnav, the field averages 47 operations a month, with ~1/3 of that .mil activity. That seems really optimistic, considering we didn’t observe a single operation in the four days we were there.

Thats a shame, i told the wife it would be a cool spot to camp out at, but we did the traditional hotel stay in town when we went tonthe hills in 22. Wife fell in love with the Hills, we're planning on being back. Hopefully it remains open a little while longer to get a landing in there before they shut it down.

Despite the reputation the media gets from poorly covering aviation related topics, I think this article summed up what I've felt about the Custer State Park airport for some time now. I hope the state decides to put some money into the airport rather than just closing it, but I can understand their reluctance to do so.

Back