Curtis valve and ram air

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Due to a new Steve’s Aircraft gascolator, my sump drain had to be rotated 90 degrees and is now facing forward and down about 45 degrees below the horizontal. Before it was facing left and down about 30 degrees below the horizontal.

Is there any chance that ram air can force open a Curtis valve? This is the type with the two stems on the side. I have not flown it yet as it is still finishing up the annual.

Due to a new Steve’s Aircraft gascolator, my sump drain had to be rotated 90 degrees and is now facing forward and down about 45 degrees below the horizontal. Before it was facing left and down about 30 degrees below the horizontal.

Is there any chance that ram air can force open a Curtis valve? This is the type with the two stems on the side. I have not flown it yet as it is still finishing up the annual.
No chance. Never heard of any problem like that. At 200 MPH the ram pressure would be around 0.7 pounds per square inch. At 100 it would be a fourth of that. The valve probably needs four or five pounds force to open it, and its area is a lot less than a square inch, too. I can't imagine any GA airplane having a problem with that.

Back