Currituck, NC (ONX)

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
Has anyone been to this airport? I need to meet with a person in Moyock (just a ways down the road to the NW) and this appears the closest airport, but it says it's unattended. I don't know, maybe I just get lonely without someone around :redface:

Other options are CPK and ECG. CPK has a really bad rep in AirNav, so I'm not interested going there. There's good comments about ECG, but I might have to rent a car if I fly into there. The person I'm meeting with would pick me up at ONX, but I don't know if they'd whine about driving farther.

Thoughts?

I've been to CPK before, but not within the last 2 years or so. Service was OK, not great, but OK. I haven't been there on recent trips to the Va Beach area because I was arriving after (early) closing time at CPK, so no way to get car rental. Shame, because the airport itself is nice... and it's reasonably close to Moyock.

wsuffa said:
I've been to CPK before, but not within the last 2 years or so. Service was OK, not great, but OK. I haven't been there on recent trips to the Va Beach area because I was arriving after (early) closing time at CPK, so no way to get car rental. Shame, because the airport itself is nice... and it's reasonably close to Moyock.
I had the same experience at CPK. It was OK. I used it because it was close to where I needed to go and it has an ILS. Never been to ECG (but I understand it is a neat field) or to ONX.

Kaye said:
Has anyone been to this airport? I need to meet with a person in Moyock (just a ways down the road to the NW) and this appears the closest airport, but it says it's unattended. I don't know, maybe I just get lonely without someone around :redface:

Other options are CPK and ECG. CPK has a really bad rep in AirNav, so I'm not interested going there. There's good comments about ECG, but I might have to rent a car if I fly into there. The person I'm meeting with would pick me up at ONX, but I don't know if they'd whine about driving farther.

Thoughts?

I landed at ONX (formerly 9W7) last year. It's a nice little strip but busy busy busy on the weekends with Ultra-lights. They don't have radios, typically, so you've got to keep an eye out for them. They usually land in the grass on the east side of the runway, operate in the opposite pattern than us. The runway can seems a bit short and there are no taxi-ways back to the FBO parking. So if you miss the turn off, you're back taxi-ing which can be exciting if there's a lot of traffic in the pattern.

I like ECG. Great runways, instrument approaches and controllers. Plus, there's a bunch of really cool Coast Guard aircraft abound there. The runways are long, wide. The GA FBO is on the east side of airport. Nice people, quick with fuel.

Never been to CPK, the only VA airports I've been to are JGG (great food on the field) and MTV (ditto).

jdwatson said:
I landed at ONX (formerly 9W7) last year. It's a nice little strip but busy busy busy on the weekends with Ultra-lights. They don't have radios, typically, so you've got to keep an eye out for them. They usually land in the grass on the east side of the runway, operate in the opposite pattern than us. The runway can seems a bit short and there are no taxi-ways back to the FBO parking. So if you miss the turn off, you're back taxi-ing which can be exciting if there's a lot of traffic in the pattern.

I like ECG. Great runways, instrument approaches and controllers. Plus, there's a bunch of really cool Coast Guard aircraft abound there. The runways are long, wide. The GA FBO is on the east side of airport. Nice people, quick with fuel.

Never been to CPK, the only VA airports I've been to are JGG (great food on the field) and MTV (ditto).

Thanks for the heads up on busy. I read there was ultralight traffic, but it's good to know that it could be a lot of traffic.

Agreed on JGG :yes:

Kaye

The Saturday I was there... there were 4 Ultralights in "their" pattern and 3 of us in our pattern. I landed just fine, but taxi'd to the end of the runway and had to back-taxi which I'm not all that fond of.

There was one ultralight with a radio, trying his best to keep us "engine'd" aircraft aware of the traffic. They usually make right traffic, but you still need to keep your eye peeled.

KONX is a good field. Just busy on weekends. Let us know what you find.

ARRRGGGGHHHH.....I hate this......

The winds........wanted to fly yesterday for a little practice in the winds as I havent' been flying much the past few months. The forecast was in a doable range. Got to the airport, and the winds were flopping around from a 50-80 degree cross, 16-19k gusting 25-26. I'm too rusty to take that chance and the CFI's out of town.

Today, the home forecast is 17G32 at a 40 degree cross. They're already kicking at 16G20 with a 50 degree cross. Currituck looks doable, but I still want to come home today. My airplane's got a 25kt xwind capability, but unfortunately I'm not that capable.....so I've cancelled my appointment and I'm staying put.

Now I get to watch and see if I wimped out too early or made the right choice......

grrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

Kaye, there will always be next time. As for wimping out...anytime a pilot feels uncomfortable about an upcoming flight and chooses to stay on the ground...they've made the right decision.

I always try to be careful about judging pilots but I'll give you extra bonus points for admitting to yourself (and us, your aviation peers) that you were rusty and not 'up to' the challenge. Good call.

Sure, every flight holds a lesson to be learned, but when you remove the pleasure from a pleasure flight, what is it then?

Thanks, Richard.

Went out today, winds still gusty but not as bad as the last couple of day. Got my "dancing" feet dancing again, and I'm having fun! :yes:

jdwatson said:
Kaye, did you get to Currituck ?

Not yet. Have it rescheduled for Mar 25th. Sure would've been nice if I could've made the trip yesteray....what a gorgeous day.....

Did you end up going on the 25th? Anything to report on KONX?

I'm hoping to fly down there in 3 weeks, VFR weather permitting. I emailed the contact listed on their webpage, and he responded in less than an hour. Looks really promising as an airport with access to the northern Outer Banks, because apparently they'll be starting ferry service to Corolla from that area. Probably late Spring I'd guess. Maybe I'll visit my brother more often if that pans out!

flyersfan31 said:
Did you end up going on the 25th? Anything to report on KONX?

I'm hoping to fly down there in 3 weeks, VFR weather permitting. I emailed the contact listed on their webpage, and he responded in less than an hour. Looks really promising as an airport with access to the northern Outer Banks, because apparently they'll be starting ferry service to Corolla from that area. Probably late Spring I'd guess. Maybe I'll visit my brother more often if that pans out!

No, didn't make it as I didn't feel good about the wx. Turned out it would've been a reasonable day with some easy cloud time, but I got lucky....partner took the plane out that day for some parctice approaches, and the AI bellyed-up and died. It's now gone in for annual (and whatever made the AI died), so I'm driving down on the 14th :eek: ! Plan to check out the airport....will report back.

Back