"Current psychiatric evaluation" requested, who to go to?

P

p52mustang123

Hello everyone! I've received a letter from the FAA requesting a "current psychiatric evaluation". I've attached the two pages of the letter to this post.

I am attempting to figure out who I should see for the evaluation. The letter mentioned that the psychiatrist should be board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology or the American Board of Osteopathic Neurology or Psychiatry. They also recommend using a psychiatrist with "experience in aerospace psychiatry".

I'm aware of the list of HIMS AME providers (https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/hims independent medical sponsors.pdf). However, after reading the letter I'm not certain that I actually need to visit a HIMS AME; it seems a normal psychiatrist ideally with aerospace experience would be sufficient.

Regardless of titles, is there a particular individual that can provide such evaluations that the community here would recommend? I'm perfectly amenable to traveling to visit a particular person if they are highly recommended (I'm in NY currently).

Hello everyone! I've received a letter from the FAA requesting a "current psychiatric evaluation". I've attached the two pages of the letter to this post.

I am attempting to figure out who I should see for the evaluation. The letter mentioned that the psychiatrist should be board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology or the American Board of Osteopathic Neurology or Psychiatry. They also recommend using a psychiatrist with "experience in aerospace psychiatry".

I'm aware of the list of HIMS AME providers (https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/hims independent medical sponsors.pdf). However, after reading the letter I'm not certain that I actually need to visit a HIMS AME; it seems a normal psychiatrist ideally with aerospace experience would be sufficient.

Regardless of titles, is there a particular individual that can provide such evaluations that the community here would recommend? I'm perfectly amenable to traveling to visit a particular person if they are highly recommended (I'm in NY currently).
You're not going to like this reply but it "is what it is".

This is a quirk in how the FAA manages its assets. When they say, "experience in aerospace psychiatry" you are NOT going to find one unless it's (1) on an USAF/USN base, or (2) in the HIMS psychiatry system. A Community Psychiatrist is working off DSM 5, and the FAA is using a mix of DSM 4 +part 67 definitions, so he hasn't got a clue, and his report may not be useful to the Federal Air Surgeon. The names of the HIMS psychiatrists are not published, and HIMS AMEs who divulge are dismissed the NEXT WEEK (last event: 2016).

So you have to go through a HIMS AME. Unfortunately the HIMS psychiatrists are in such demand that we are given the burden of doing the FAA's Due Diligence, and not bothering the HIMS psychiatrist until or unless we know that there isn't some OTHER certification problem. The HIMS AME makes the choice of referral on your behalf (and believe me it is discretionary). WE get pretty good at getting all the stuff together though YMMV.

I would say a majority of the HIMS psychiatrists are not on "Huddle for Government": which also means that to supply the "AME copy of your FAA medical record" (differs from what you get) the HIMS AME has to order it up and read it and send it whole to the HIMS psychatrist or it will be 3 months before a hard copy arrives in writing at this place, and before you can proceed.

So get to the HIMS AME list, find one near you, pay the guy's fee, he's gonna work for it and get your act together. Besides when you are being asked for that level of evaluation, oddds are you're going to need a sponsored Special Issuance anyway, and any HIMS AME worth his salt, can and will do that if you look "right".

B

Last edited:
Got a friend going through this right now. Ditto to above. There is no jumping steps. Got to goto the back of the line HIMS AME get referred to HIMS psych. Get told what to do.

Best advise - “BRING MONEY”

So you have to go through a HIMS AME. Unfortunately the HIMS psychiatrists are in such demand that we are given the burden of doing the FAA's Due Diligence, and not bothering the HIMS psychiatrist until or unless we know that there isn't some OTHER certification problem. The HIMS AME makes the choice of referral on your behalf (and believe me it is discretionary).
So get to the HIMS AME list, find one near you, pay the guy's fee, he's gonna work for it and get your act together. Besides when you are being asked for that level of evaluation, oddds are you're going to need a sponsored Special Issuance anyway, and any HIMS AME worth his salt, can and will do that if you look "right".

B

Thank you for your reply! Regarding Special Issuance, my understanding (based primarily on articles like this one) is that it is usually for pilots with severe, otherwise disqualifying conditions. I took SSRIs for a little less than a year several (~4) years ago after an OCD diagnosis, but I have not been on medication since (with notes from doctors to support that claim). I believe that is why I am being asked for the evaluation, but as far as I am aware an old OCD diagnosis is not one of the "disqualifying" conditions that would necessitate Special Issuance. Again, my understanding of that process is superficial so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best advise - “BRING MONEY”

Yea, the evaluations seem to be quite pricey.

Where yat?
I'm currently in New York, but I am perfectly amenable to visiting providers elsewhere.

I do not see the attachments.
Anonymous posters in general cannot post attachments or links, sorry. If the documents will help the OP I suggest a more private way of exchanging them with AMEs.

Nauga,
seriously

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back