Current database requirement for IFR

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
Ok, running into another one with conflicting information available:

I realize this is probably an old question that has been resolved - I just couldn't find it. And second, it is admittedly largely academic since I don't know anyone who would advocate flying with expired databases anyway...but, since the question could arise with a DPE...

My study course (Sporty's) and some online sleuthing indicates that a current database is NOT required in your GPS for enroute and terminal operations. I run into seeming contradictions when I read AIM 1-1-17(2)(b) and (5)(e)(8) or AC 90-100A and compare to Table 1-1-6.

So - is Table 1-1-6 the actual final word on the matter? Why write the text passages as clearly prohibiting use if they are immediately contradicted by the table?

Am I just being too pedantic and asking stupid questions? =) Wouldn't be the first time...

The final word on the matter is what your flight manual supplement says.

I'm not following your interpretation of TBL 1-1-6. All of the IFR (enroute/terminal/approach) ops there require either the current database or the verification that the information in the existing database is correct.

I think the consensus answer is that it is legally possible to fly with an expired database as long as you can verify the expired data is still current (accurate) for the required navigation. In practice, there is no way to really do this for your planned flight or any unanticipated in-flight re-routing, so the practical answer is you should fly with a current database that has been culled for accuracy by the provider. (And even then you can encounter errors or missing information.)

The Approved Flight Manual Supplement for your specific GPS will tell you when you must have a current database.

As a general rule, most of the AFMSs will say you can fly terminal and enroute with an expired database if you verify that the information is correct. Keep in mind, while airports and VORs don't move, sometimes waypoints in space do.

I'm referring to the fact that the AIM textual sections saying "the onboard navigation data must be current and appropriate..." leave no allowance for a manual verification exception. A better way of asking this might be simply: Is 1-1-6 the only location that specifies it is (at times) allowable to fly with an expired database?

OK, got it. I posted the above reply to the first response I got. And yes, a good reminder that the AFMS also gives guidance I need to be including. Thanks all. I think this all gives me a better nuanced understanding.

OK, got it. I posted the above reply to the first response I got. And yes, a good reminder that the AFMS also gives guidance I need to be including. Thanks all. I think this all gives me a better nuanced understanding.

The AIM is guidance, not legally binding. The AFMS is the controlling, legally-binding document in this instance. The AFMS controls over the AIM every time.

The AIM is guidance, not legally binding. The AFMS is the controlling, legally-binding document in this instance. The AFMS controls over the AIM every time.
Right - good correction. Thanks.

Actually, the AIM is binding, although the AFMS can be more restrictive.

the FAR punts to the AIM and ACs. FAR 1.1:

Suitable RNAV system is an RNAV system that meets the required performance established for a type of operation, e.g. IFR; and is suitable for operation over the route to be flown in terms of any performance criteria (including accuracy) established by the air navigation service provider for certain routes (e.g. oceanic, ATS routes, and IAPs). An RNAV system’s suitability is dependent upon the availability of ground and/or satellite navigation aids that are needed to meet any route performance criteria that may be prescribed in route specifications to navigate the aircraft along the route to be flown. Information on suitable RNAV systems is published in FAA guidance material. (my emphasis)
Smart move by the FAA.

Back