Current Database and Obstacles for checkride?

That's generally not accurate. Most AFM supplements (actually, every one I've ever looked at), and at least those for the Garmin units, permit you to use the GPS for IFR en-route operations with an expired database so long as you otherwise verify the accuracy of the waypoints you are using (in theory, check the lat/longs against a current chart, which nobody does because they don't often move). A truly current database is only required for approaches.
And even then, if the approach hasn't been revised since the date of the last database update, you can still fly it.

That's generally not accurate. Most AFM supplements (actually, every one I've ever looked at), and at least those for the Garmin units, permit you to use the GPS for IFR en-route operations with an expired database so long as you otherwise verify the accuracy of the waypoints you are using (in theory, check the lat/longs against a current chart, which nobody does because they don't often move). A truly current database is only required for approaches.

Yup.

But long and short, real world, if you're flying IFR you're going to want to keep that current, I'd also not want to take an IFR ride with a old database, not good ADM.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9
And even then, if the approach hasn't been revised since the date of the last database update, you can still fly it.

That's much less clear. Most AFM supplements actually specifically specify a "current database." For example, the AFMS for the GTN650 says "GPS approaches...are prohibited unless the pilot verifies and uses the current Navigation database." The 430 AFMS states, "Instrument approach navigation predicated upon the GNS 430’s GPS Receiver must be accomplished in accordance with approved instrument approach procedures that are retrieved from the GPS equipment data base. The GPS equipment database must incorporate the current update cycle." I do believe I've seen an AFMS with language that is amenable to your position, but I don't recall the model (maybe a King unit).

Yup.

But long and short, real world, if you're flying IFR you're going to want to keep that current, I'd also not want to take an IFR ride with a old database, not good ADM.

I've flown plenty of real world enroute IFR with an expired database in the panel-mounted unit. Really not a big deal as long as you have a current source of charting data (Foreflight, etc.).

The ACS is actually very specific that the database must be current for an IFR ride.

image.jpg

Long and short, way easier to just update the jepp database, the terrian stuff, meh!

That's much less clear. Most AFM supplements actually specifically specify a "current database." For example, the AFMS for the GTN650 says "GPS approaches...are prohibited unless the pilot verifies and uses the current Navigation database." The 430 AFMS states, "Instrument approach navigation predicated upon the GNS 430’s GPS Receiver must be accomplished in accordance with approved instrument approach procedures that are retrieved from the GPS equipment data base. The GPS equipment database must incorporate the current update cycle." I do believe I've seen an AFMS with language that is amenable to your position, but I don't recall the model (maybe a King unit).
Pretty sure my 480's AFMS allows this, but I'm not close to the plane so can't verify. (Like most folks, I keep my database current if I want to fly IFR.) But you're correct that it depends on what the AFMS says. That said, my understanding is that many AFMS do allow it, provided the pilot verifies the database vs. the current plate.

Pretty sure my 480's AFMS allows this, but I'm not close to the plane so can't verify. (Like most folks, I keep my database current if I want to fly IFR.) But you're correct that it depends on what the AFMS says. That said, my understanding is that many AFMS do allow it, provided the pilot verifies the database vs. the current plate.

You're right, unlike the GNS430/GTN650, the AFM for the CNX 80 (same as the GNS 480) reads:
"Instrument approaches using the CNX80 are prohibited unless CNX80 approach data is verified by the pilot or crew to be current."

As it doesn't specifically say the "database" must be current, the language is probably broad enough to permit the use of an approach that you can confirm hasn't changed since the database was last updated (using the date/change stamps on the approach plate).

Back