Current Again!

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
After not being PIC for over a year, decided it was time to get back in the air.

Needed to get a check out also for the plane I want to bring to Gaston's this year, so I scheduled a lesson today at a "new" airport, a "new" CFI and a "new" plane.

Was a little windy, but not bad overall. Went over the plane, where the POH is, W&B for it, where the records are kept etc...

Haven't flown a 172 much and it has been a LONG time since I did. Found the check list, pre-flight done. Talked some about the characteristics of THAT particular plane (where the rudder trim is best at, things like that).
Just sat there for about 10 minutes so I could learn the layout of the cockpit.
What a thrill again just to sit and actually start a plane.

Taxied out, trying to remember to do wind correction. Run up done, everything looks good. I remind the CFI "don't let me do anything stupid". Push the throttle in and we are flying. WOO HOO, in the air again!!!

Just did some basic turns to a heading, climbs, slow flight. Did a couple of stalls, then the inevitable "you just lost your engine".
Forgot how far a 172 will glide, did a 180, entered the downwind to the airport right below me. Turned in to soon, about 1,000 feet high. Full flaps, rudder to the floor to slip it down and touched down about 1/2 down the runway, but I made it. Wasn't very pretty in my mind. Before he could say anything, told him we need to work on that again.
Taxied back, took off, did another landing, better, but still not great.
Went to a different airport a little north, on the way, go down some, did a couple turns around a point, first one was ugly, told him I wanted to do it again. Second one I was happy with, so we went on then.
Another landing there, stay in the pattern, did a go around on the next one.
We headed for home then. Coming in there he warned "about when you get to those trees, get ready to get bumped around some, carry another 5 knots or so speed".
Followed his direction, landing worked out about perfect. Nice slip into the wind, one wheel down then the other. Lets end the day on a good one.
Taxied back, went inside, talked about the day. Have another flight scheduled with him next Friday.

I FEEL GOOD!!

Last edited:
After not being PIC for over a year, decided it was time to get back in the air.

Needed to get a check out also for the plane I want to bring to Gaston's this year, so I scheduled a lesson today at a "new" airport, a "new" CFI and a "new" plane.

Was a little windy, but not bad overall. Went over the plane, where the POH is, W&B for it, where the records are kept etc...

Haven't flown a 172 much and it has been a LONG time since I did. Found the check list, pre-flight done. Talked some about the characteristics of THAT particular plane (where the rudder trim is best at, things like that).
Just sat there for about 10 minutes so I could learn the layout of the cockpit.
What a thrill again just to sit and actually start a plane.

Taxied out, trying to remember to do wind correction. Run up done, everything looks good. I remind the CFI "don't let me do anything stupid". Push the throttle in and we are flying. WOO HOO, in the air again!!!

Just did some basic turns to a heading, climbs, slow flight. Did a couple of stalls, then the inevitable "you just lost your engine".
Forgot how far a 172 will glide, did a 180, entered the downwind to the airport right below me. Turned in to soon, about 1,000 feet high. Full flaps, rudder to the floor to slip it down and touched down about 1/2 down the runway, but I made it. Wasn't very pretty in my mind. Before he could say anything, told him we need to work on that again.
Taxied back, took off, did another landing, better, but still not great.
Went to a different airport a little north, on the way, go down some, did a couple turns around a point, first one was ugly, told him I wanted to do it again. Second one I was happy with, so we went on then.
Another landing there, stay in the pattern, did a go around on the next one.
We headed for home then. Coming in there he warned "about when you get to those trees, get ready to get bumped around some, carry another 5 knots or so speed".
Followed his direction, landing worked out about perfect. Nice slip into the wind, one wheel down then the other. Lets end the day on a good one.
Taxied back, went inside, talked about the day. Have another flight scheduled with him next Friday.

I FEEL GOOD!!

About time, Mark! :yesnod:

Reading that makes me vicariously happy Mark. Great job!

Back