Currency regs

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
This may be obvious to someone who hasn't been drinking but I was just slogging through martha's "IFR Regulations" (now there's an exciting Saturday evening) and wondered,
Why does the ifr currency reg include the words, "intercepting and tracking"?
I would have thought the previous part, "approaches" would have that well covered.
IE what approaches can a person conduct that does not include I & T??
Maybe its a bit redundant? GPS ILS VOR NDB approaches all include some form of I n T I believe unless Ive been doing them all wrong!

Here's another nitpicker:
You have to do your 6 in 6 approaches right?
Well the "Visual" is an instrument approach conducted on an ifr flight plan. (no I wasn't wanting approval to cheat on my next 6in6!). I just did not see the Visual Approach excluded in the wording.

scottd said:
a visual approach is NOT a "instrument approach procedure."

I am glad to hear that, as it was counterintuitive when I was first told it - and I did not follow up on it (partly lazy; partly because I am not usually an FAR trivia affictionado).

That the "visual" is performed while still operating under ifr rules, makes it an 'ifr procedure' but not an 'instrument approach procedure'? If so, sounds like another semantics game.
Which is just fine; the airplane still flies the same to me!
Thanks Scott.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Why does the ifr currency reg include the words, "intercepting and tracking"?
Why? I have no idea, but I really don't think it's worth bothering AFS-800 about it since it has no operational effect because there are no SIAP's to fly in instrument conditions that don't include I&T.

You have to do your 6 in 6 approaches right?
Well the "Visual" is an instrument approach conducted on an ifr flight plan. (no I wasn't wanting approval to cheat on my next 6in6!). I just did not see the Visual Approach excluded in the wording.
Scott nailed it.

To appease the nitpickers out there I would include in my logbook, at some time every six months, the words "tracking" and "intercepting," since the regulation does indeed specify it, even if it should be obvious as Dave said.

Jon

Ron Levy said:
Why? I have no idea, but I really don't think it's worth bothering AFS-800 about it since it has no operational effect because there are no SIAP's to fly in instrument conditions that don't include I&T.

I suppose a pilot could fly 6 ASR approaches for currency and still need to track a navigation course, but I can't quite see how you could make a full turn in a hold without tracking at some point.

Back