currency in single and multi engine

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
I'm instrument rated in single engine but plan to get qualified for instrument multi in the near future. From what I gather, these are considered independent of each other for the most part--approaches done in a single don't count towards multi currency, and vice versa.

I just want to confirm my suspicions. If I stay current in a single, but don't do enough approaches within 12 months in a multi, I still need a CFII to get me current in the multi?

Once you have the Instrument rating and no limitations on SE or ME, for instrument currency, it doesn't matter. Instrument current in a twin is instrument current in a single. The same does not hold true for pax carrying purposes though.

Once you have the Instrument rating and no limitations on SE or ME, for instrument currency, it doesn't matter. Instrument current in a twin is instrument current in a single. The same does not hold true for pax carrying purposes though.

so, 6 approaches in single and/or twin is fine for both? I thought you had to do 6 in both.

I'm instrument rated in single engine but plan to get qualified for instrument multi in the near future. From what I gather, these are considered independent of each other for the most part--approaches done in a single don't count towards multi currency, and vice versa.
You are confusing the landing currency rules in 61.57(a/b), which must be in class, with the instrument currency rules in 61.57(c), which need only be in category. So, for 61.57(c) recent instrument experience purposes, as long as an instrument event was done in an Airplane, it counts for instrument currency in all Airplanes, either SE/ME or land/sea.

My suggestion would be to primarily focus on keeping current in whatever you are mainly flying. I own a Bonanza and a Mooney but do most of my real instrument flying in a Baron. Because of this I make sure I am current and proficient in the Baron and don't worry so much about the others.

As the others have said, meeting the instrument currency requirements can be done in either a single or a multi and you're good for both.

Also, it sounds like you already know but make sure you specify that you want to be instrument rated in the multi when you take the checkride. If you don't you may only get a VFR checkride and have that restriction on your multi rating.

thanks guys, that was a big help. Looks like I was totally confused about the requirements. I don't think I'll be flying the multi enough to tackle hard IMC, but I still like filing instrument flight plans for longer VFR flights.

thanks again.

Back