Curious re:windy landing technique

Consider the AWOS information, but let the airplane on final tell you what the wind is doing.
Exactly. It's nice to know if you're going to have a lot of crosswind or not much crosswind but since the wind changes constantly there is no way to know with any accuracy. You're going to do what it takes to keep the airplane straight anyway.

Good example of why one should not add power on a T&G without confirming that the flaps were at least moving, or on S&G without confirming that the flaps were in the takeoff position?

You can hear the motor working and it's easy to glance over to the right wing but not so much the left w/o taking your eyes off centerline while rolling. Guess I need more T&G practice.

I personally prefer Full Stop, reconfigure and then Go if there is sufficient runway, otherwise I pull off at the taxiway.

You can hear the motor working and it's easy to glance over to the right wing but not so much the left w/o taking your eyes off centerline while rolling. Guess I need more T&G practice.
"Practice, my boy, practice!" - Jascha Heifitz

I personally prefer Full Stop, reconfigure and then Go if there is sufficient runway, otherwise I pull off at the taxiway.
Wise choices.

It's far more interesting when they break in the DOWN position. All the way down. 40 degrees.

Been there, done that. Wasn't particularly fun, but the runway was long and there was room to stop after not confirming they came up on a stop-and-go. Could'a been much worse.
One of the nice/convenient things I like about the '48 170.....it can take-off and climb just fine with full flaps. When I do touch and goes, I just leave the flaps down and don't mess with them until I'm back in the air.

It's far more interesting when they break in the DOWN position. All the way down. 40 degrees.

When I was renting, that's why I didn't use 40* flaps unless required due to runway length.
When the engine's only putting out 70% power due to 9000ft DA, a 40* flap failure on an unexpected go-around at gross can put you in a position where climbing is a challenge.

My home drome has an 8000ft runway. So full stop, reconfigure, and go is not a problem.
Now that I'm not paying by Hobbs hours, I am working the T&G out of my practice. I think it's negative transfer, the order of operations is different than a go-around, and T&Gs are a generally bad idea in RG airplanes (which my next one will be).

A faster approach speed really makes no sense as you must still slow your airplane down to X value to land. If you come in faster - all you've done - is made the hardest part of landing even harder (you'll spend more time trying to control the airplane close to the ground).
Agree with Jesse on the small amount of float after the flare. Only bad things can happen in gusty crosswinds when you are low, and slow over the runway for a loooong time.
+3
In gusty conditions, I want to spend as little time in the flare as possible. That's where you are most vulnerable to a loss of directional control.

Good example of why one should not add power on a T&G without confirming that the flaps were at least moving, or on S&G without confirming that the flaps were in the takeoff position?

Yup. Lesson learned. Luckily not the really hard way. I had gotten complacent and wasn't looking out the window every time that flap lever moves.

... and a 4. all you've done is extend the airborne bronc ride down the runway.

+3
In gusty conditions, I want to spend as little time in the flare as possible. That's where you are most vulnerable to a loss of directional control.

AoA indicator ,and you nail it almost every time, I used to come too fast with wind and floated , some scary landings.
With AoA I come just adjusting power an attitude to keep the 2 yellow lights on, using 20 flaps (C 182) all the way to touch down.

This has helped a lot, my 182 has Sportsman STOL hit and VGs and if you come too fast , can float forever.

Exactly. It's nice to know if you're going to have a lot of crosswind or not much crosswind but since the wind changes constantly there is no way to know with any accuracy. You're going to do what it takes to keep the airplane straight anyway.

Yeah I like to know somewhat what to expect, even though ultimately its going to visual cues and feel to land the plane.

<---<^>--->

What were the winds there?

I'd like the chance to get some practice landing at an airport with a big honkin (but steady) crosswind. I think a steady crosswind would be a blast except around here, there are tall pine treelines next to the runways and every time its blowing hard, its also swirling like crazy, gusting and no fun. Final is a roller coaster and you really do feel like you're wrestling the plane.

What were the winds there?

I'd like the chance to get some practice landing at an airport with a big honkin (but steady) crosswind. I think a steady crosswind would be a blast except around here, there are tall pine treelines next to the runways and every time its blowing hard, its also swirling like crazy, gusting and no fun. Final is a roller coaster and you really do feel like you're wrestling the plane.

Head east to Lumberton or southeast to Columbia -- nice, long runways with lots of flat topography.

Of course there are trees but they are not a factor at those fields...

Last edited:
I normally land loaded w/ 20^ flaps, 30^ if I'm light or its a short r/w.

I land the same way in crosswinds. Thankfully, the Cardinal has a great big rudder, and I've had some great pilot mentors that taught me how to use it.

I've done a 90^ at 22g29 and still had rudder left.

Last edited:
On those really windy, gusty days, it is better to be on the ground, wishing you were up there than to be up there wishing you were in the ground.

How much wind do you think there was at the surface? Looked like you touched down pretty much wings level and didn't need much correction at all.

I touched down in a little bit of a crab on one wheel, it was prolly 10 or so though at the surface.

I touched down in a little bit of a crab on one wheel, it was prolly 10 or so though at the surface.

10 :dunno::dunno::dunno:.. Thats a whiff if wind.:yesnod::yesnod:

Geez... the Anemometers here in Wyoming don't even start reading out till 50 mph...:yikes::wink2:

Ben.

yup......:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Attachments

• imagesCARBIWEQ.jpg
    imagesCARBIWEQ.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back