Cub sea turtle baldhead island NC

Seems the other guy knew where to land ...

What does this have to do with sea turtles?

Looks like the wheels dug into the sand. The ‘authorities’ mentioned said it’s not legal to land there? That could be a deal, maybe.

I have actually witnessed an aviation adjuster say “we are not enforcement” in reference to a claim when the plane was out of annual.

The wreck was CLEARLY not associated with the plane being a month out of annual...

And it was settled quickly and fairly. The deal was I bought gear ripped off wreck. Turns out it wasn’t his to sell! Yikes! Without blinking an eye, they subtracted what I paid from the coverage amount and everyone was happy.

My guess, ya, it’s covered.

Obviously this will be an expensive and timely recovery mission. Assuming he had full coverage insurance do they pay for this effort even if the landing was not permitted there?

https://www.wect.com/2022/04/11/plane-flipped-over-while-practicing-landings-near-bald-head-island/
I don't know how expensive it would be really, they call it an 'island' but I'm pretty sure you can drive a 4WD truck from the other beaches to that 'island' upload_2022-4-13_17-51-50.png

Also, seems like it wouldn't cost too much to roll it onto a floating dock on the marsh side and float it home.

Eh? No. You can't drive to the island. You can take the passenger ferry or some other boat. Crashing airplanes on the island is not a preferred method of arrival.

The standard mode of motorized transport once on the island is electric golf cart. It's the only thing you're allowed in the village. There are a few gas powered thingies (gators, atvs, golf carts).

Eh? No. You can't drive to the island. You can take the passenger ferry or some other boat. Crashing airplanes on the island is not a preferred method of arrival.

The standard mode of motorized transport once on the island is electric golf cart. It's the only thing you're allowed in the village. There are a few gas powered thingies (gators, atvs, golf carts).
If you can drive past the 'do not pass this sign' sign, you can drive to the island.

upload_2022-4-13_19-18-39.png

The only legal way for the public to get there is by passenger ferry or boat. :)

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/fort-fisher-to-bald-head-island-beach-walk

Last edited:
I grew up about 20 miles North of Bald Head, as the crow flies...
Back in the 80's & 90's, and probably in all times before that, it actually was an island if I recall correctly...
Hurricanes have filled in and changed the landscape.

When I see that picture...it looks like it's below the high tide line.... yikes!
I'm reminded of the time on that beach probably very near to the same place. Back in the early 1980's & I was in High School...well actually I was skipping High School that day.... had an old 1966 Ford Bronco that had basically no compression in it's little 250 cubic inch engine and no power. Took it on the beach a little South of the Aquarium. As soon as I hit the dry powder sand it just about stalled....I only just managed to milk it down to the wet sand where I hoped I could gain some speed to get back off the beach. It only just barely gained some speed as I traveled a mile or whatever down to the next beach exit through the dunes. I was not about to try to turn around. Any turning slowed it. The whole time I had visions of sticking it in the sand as the tide came back up...and what my Dad was going to do to me.... good times.

I went back and looked at the news story...It says Oak Island rescue was assisting. That clued me into the idea that it's probably not even on the cape fear peninsula...more near Oak Island....
So looking at google maps I think they were landing on Jay Bird Shoals....not Bald Head at all....

Back