Cub Clones

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
So last night my dad and I got started talking RV's and he asked about Cub kits. He has always wanted a cub and he is very mechanically inclined so I have no doubt he could build it. The question is which one?

This is all hypothetical so price is no object but which of the homebuilt cubs do you guys like the best?

What about starting with a data plate? More paperwork but perhaps a more valuable plane when done.

I've been thinking the same thing. If money is no object, the Carbon cub is first (last if money matters). After that it's a harder choice, I'm interested in the answers too.....

the legend cubs are nice, much roomier that the wag aero and other original-style cub clones

the one thing I would insist on for any cub kit is super-cub style wing attachment rather than the head knocker

I don't know if it qualifies as a cub clone, but I have always liked how the tandem Rans has drop down doors and flip up windows on both sides...

A friend built one. Said it was the worst experience he'd ever had. Shorted him on everything possible, didn't correct any shortages, just a real PITA to deal with.

Customer service sucked,

Caused me to quit buying anything from Wag-Aero.

It did turn out to be a nie bird though.

When I toured the Legends plant in TX they had a builder-assist program in which several builders were completing their planes. It's not a big money-saver but the only way I would consider building.

So last night my dad and I got started talking RV's and he asked about Cub kits. He has always wanted a cub and he is very mechanically inclined so I have no doubt he could build it. The question is which one?

This is all hypothetical so price is no object but which of the homebuilt cubs do you guys like the best?

What about starting with a data plate? More paperwork but perhaps a more valuable plane when done.

Do you mean an original Cub plate and then rebuild?

When I toured the Legends plant in TX they had a builder-assist program in which several builders were completing their planes. It's not a big money-saver but the only way I would consider building.

My dad is looking for a retirement project. Im talking rent a hangar and build it there 5-6 hours a day. He doesnt sit idly well. Unless NASCAR is on and he has a beer. Which Im sure he'll watch plenty of in his hanger were he to buy one.

Watching NASCAR in a hanger sounds great to me. If I see the door open and race on I will pull up a seat.

To do a Super Cub restoration to the quality of the aircraft shown it will run a little over $200,000.

Attachments

• Roger's aircraft 028.jpg
    Roger's aircraft 028.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Roger's aircraft 029.jpg
    Roger's aircraft 029.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Roger's aircraft 027.jpg
    Roger's aircraft 027.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Strobe Power.JPG
    Strobe Power.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 30
  • survival comp.JPG
    survival comp.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 29
  • under rear seat.JPG
    under rear seat.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010038.JPG
    P1010038.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010039.JPG
    P1010039.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Right Wheel.JPG
    Right Wheel.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Roger's aircraft 013.jpg
    Roger's aircraft 013.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Roger's aircraft 001.jpg
    Roger's aircraft 001.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 21
To do a Super Cub restoration to the quality of the aircraft shown it will run a little over $200,000.

And while that is a beautiful aircraft its not what my pops is looking for. He wants low, slow, and nostalgic. I'd probably be fighting him to put a radio in it haha

Go to www.Supercub.org and look up the thread by Bill Rusk
on the Javron Cub kit. Lots of options and a lot of experimental cubs out there.
Dave

Do you mean an original Cub plate and then rebuild?

That is what I was thinking. There are PMA parts for the whole plane. Depends how you go about it might be more work and expense for no gain.

Last edited:
I didnt see a price? And Washington is a long long flight from Florida. Im still not sure my dad is 100% ready but that would make a good candidate.

The wings come off and it goes on a trailer really easy. Plus you never loose money on a J-3 unless you destroy it.

Last edited:
I built a Backcountry Super Cub and at the time it was the best Cub kit on the market. It is essentially an exact replica of a Piper but with all the Alaskan mods and a 4" wider fuselage. If I was to buy a kit today I would do a Javron as I like what Jay has done with the refinements. Don

Attachments

• cub over the canyon.jpg
    cub over the canyon.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 35
  • cub banking.jpg
    cub banking.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 33
Fun. That would be really fun to do that flight.

Ryan

Absolutely. Were I to do it I would do a fair bit of exploring on the way home. South to Oregon then east to Salt Lake and through Colorado. I could probably find a reason to stop in Texas too than Louisiana Mississippi Alabama and home. Over the course of a few weeks it would be an awesome trip.

Absolutely. Were I to do it I would do a fair bit of exploring on the way home. South to Oregon then east to Salt Lake and through Colorado. I could probably find a reason to stop in Texas too than Louisiana Mississippi Alabama and home. Over the course of a few weeks it would be an awesome trip.

There's nothing stopping you. :)

There's nothing stopping you. :)

Other than school and money not a thing is stopping me :rolleyes:

I truly wish I could do a trip like that but there are just to many things in the way right now.

One day I would like to hit all 48 in one month or two long trip.

Watching NASCAR in a hanger sounds great to me. If I see the door open and race on I will pull up a seat.

:D.... Tell me which hangar and I will taxi up with REAL NASCAR noise...:yes:

Attachments

• Picture_204.jpg
    Picture_204.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 23
  • EngineTopFromRight.jpg
    EngineTopFromRight.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 22
  • EngineAndRedriveFromUpperRearRight.jpg
    EngineAndRedriveFromUpperRearRight.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 18
  • N801BH_InTheHangar.jpg
    N801BH_InTheHangar.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 22
It's easy to find my hanger, look for my pro street chevy LUV with a 410 Donovan under the hood and 31X18.5 Hoosiers under the bed at KCMA

Last edited:
:D.... Tell me which hangar and I will taxi up with REAL NASCAR noise...:yes:

A plane that only turns left...interesting! :)

Oh, wait...

...maybe that's why most airports are left pattern!

Last edited:
Zlin Savage Cub

I heard good things about Savage Cub, but I did not hear it coming as a kit, or even E-LSA for that matter.

RANS S-7 would be my choice to build in this class. I am not limber enough to get in and out of a Cub anymore. It's not going to have a SuperCub's performance, of course, but I'm ok with that.

I toured the Legend Cub facility in E TX a few years back. I was quite impressed with the operation, and the procedures, and the people. I had no trouble strapping one on and hopping around for a bit. Has some 'old folks' design considerations that make it easier to get in and out of, and a bit more easy on the back. The materials were top notch. Don't know about the rest of the fleet, but the Legend looks and flies like a winner.

It's not exactly a Cub, but you can't go wrong with a Kitfox. :yes:

It's not exactly a Cub, but you can't go wrong with a Kitfox. :yes:

The Kitfox 7 is a very capable airplane. Lots of room in the cockpit and is easy to get in and out of. The Kitfox kits are some of the best in the industry and someone with good basic mechanical skills can build one. Don

I heard good things about Savage Cub, but I did not hear it coming as a kit, or even E-LSA for that matter.

RANS S-7 would be my choice to build in this class. I am not limber enough to get in and out of a Cub anymore. It's not going to have a SuperCub's performance, of course, but I'm ok with that.

It's been available as a kit since 2006, you just have to order one - to date I don't believe anyone has ever ordered one but they will be glad to send you the pieces & parts if you ask.

Back