CTL and the PTS

Do you have to make sure they fly the airplane in a way that the passengers would be nice and comfy? Or will just safely be good enough. Maybe it's really not all that big a deal. The "airspace to be protected" has a margin for error built into it. Maybe the visibilty minimum on those plates is pretty close to the "anticipated radius of flight path."

Not for Approach Categories C and D. That is why they were increased substantially in TERPs, Change 21. But, it will take many years before all approach charts have the inverted "C."

The protected airspace for circling is even larger in PANS-OPS, which most of the world uses.

I guess it is kind of a gray area when giving flight checks. Seem to me the solution is to not pick Approaches where failure is just about assured. Or pick that Approach and wait for the right answer which is "I won't do that Approach in this airplane with that visibility. It exceeds my personal/company minimums." How often does someone take an ATP checkride in a thousands of dollars an hour airplane?

For what it's worth, most of the Level C/D sims are at least $1000/hr.

My company does not have it in the OPSpecs so we do not do circles unless it is VFR and then it had better be an emergency.

I did a type ride in a MD82 at $35/minute out of MY pocket.

I guess it is kind of a gray area when giving flight checks. Seem to me the solution is to not pick Approaches where failure is just about assured. Or pick that Approach and wait for the right answer which is "I won't do that Approach in this airplane with that visibility. It exceeds my personal/company minimums." How often does someone take an ATP checkride in a thousands of dollars an hour airplane?

Back