CTC APP Within 20 NM of a Class C. Always?

For anyone wondering, ARSA and Class C are the same thing. The name got changed in 1993 when Alphabet airspace started.
There are still some TRSAs (ARSAs) that never were changed to lettered airspace. Examples are Huntington, WV, Binghamton, NY, and Youngstown, OH.

There are still some TRSAs (ARSAs) that never were changed to lettered airspace. Examples are Huntington, WV, Binghamton, NY, and Youngstown, OH.
Just to clarify, TRSA and ARSA were not synonymous. Communication with ATC is not mandatory to enter a TRSA. With an ARSA, it was, just like class C is today.

TRSA’s were first. When the ARSA was invented many TRSA’s became ARSA’s, but not all. Some just stayed TRSA’s and are still around. The only thing that happened when Alphabet Airspace became a thing was ARSA’s got a new name, Class C. It had no effect on TRSA’s.

EDIT: It wasn’t the only thing that changed and it did affect some TRSA’s. Read the next few posts.

Last edited:
TRSA’s were first. When the ARSA was invented many TRSA’s became ARSA’s, but not all. Some just stayed TRSA’s and are still around. The only thing that happened when Alphabet Airspace became a thing was ARSA’s got a new name, Class C. It had no effect on TRSA’s.
Yeah, I forgot about the distinction. Although I believe a number of TRSAs met the (new) standards as Class C and were reclassified as same.

Yeah, I forgot about the distinction. Although I believe a number of TRSAs met the (new) standards as Class C and were reclassified as same.

I believe you believe right. Here’s part of a ruling about that. I was wrong when I said “...the only thing that changed...”. My post above edited. Thanks for the insight.

“...The FAA has established Class C airspace areas at 121 locations
under a paced implementation plan to replace TRSA's with Class C
airspace areas.
This rule establishes a Class C airspace area at a location which
was not identified as a candidate for an ARSA (a Class C airspace area)
in the preamble to Amendment No. 71-10 (50 FR 9252)...”

^^^ OMG! ads-b for traffic avoidance while taxiing? You've gone too far my friend.
Wrapping things up after a couple rounds in the pattern - no one else is there - some guy is taxiing out to 35 - I think a student. I make a full stop, turn off and start to taxi north to the ramp. The guy announces he is about to depart 35 and has the traffic "ummm I think on crosswind".
Near as I can figure, he had me on the ADS-B as I was headed for the hangar...

Back