CTAF door code follies

So if you made soup for a large group of people and used more than one chicken, would it be "Chickens Soup"?
That would depend entirely on the composition of the large group of people.

This is at one of the airports I fly into... name obscured to protect the morons who came up with this idea. :)

541386_4490256183419_1849340840_n.jpg

I guess I'm a moron too. Other than the apostrophe discussion my first couple of looks at this I didn't see the problem.

Close to my hangar, where the fence has a corner, there's a gate that you can view from either side of the chain-link fence. Here's the view from the non-secure side:

Fence1.jpg

Here's a close-up, showing what is very easily readable from the non-secure side where I took the photo:

Fence2.jpg

actually it is correct as is since the room is for pilots but pilots don't own it
It's easy to find situations where use of the possessive does not imply ownership. Consider "Clark's mother," "Richard's brother," or "John's boss," for example.

BVS is the old CTAF. but the sign reads ->CTAF they try several times then get frustrated and call me. I tell them and they go like "OH" the bathrooms are still 2-4 together then 3
If I'm transient how am I supposed to know what the old CTAF is?

If I'm transient how am I supposed to know what the old CTAF is?

Go past the old Harrison farm and turn left. The house is just past where they cut down the big oak tree. Go around back, we'll be in the yard

At one airport I've visited, at least one of the gates has a code of 4321. (The lock is one of the ones that has five buttons in a straight line.) This is not a minor, podunk field, either.

So many exceptions to that rule they're hard to count.

I suspect that it would amaze a person who is native to a phonetic language that English has things called "spelling bees".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At my home field, there's a sliding gate that I have a key for. The gate on the other side of the field is a lifting gate that my key doesn't open, but I can drive up to the gate with my car hood under it, lift it slightly over the windshield, and drive right under it (only works for small cars like my Miata). Handy when I leave my key in my other car.

I use the ink test when I can't decide: use whichever way uses less ink. Pilots rather than Pilot's. This, that and the other thing verses This, that, and the other thing. (one less comma)

I use the ink test when I can't decide: use whichever way uses less ink. Pilots rather than Pilot's. This, that and the other thing verses This, that, and the other thing. (one less comma)
My understanding is that the Oxford comma is optional, but it's possible to go too far. Leaving out too many commas and other punctuation marks often makes one's writing harder to read, and sometimes obscures meaning.

tinerj said:
My understanding is that the Oxford comma is optional, but it's possible to go too far. Leaving out too many commas and other punctuation marks often makes one's writing harder to read, and sometimes obscures meaning.

I think that the AP Stylebook just was revised to make use of the Oxford comma more or less mandatory.

Back when I lived in CT and hangared at IJD and there was an FBO and flight school - they had gate access.

The gate access code was CTAF - 5 numbers.

The problem is that they changed the CTAF from 122.7 to 122.97 about 2002. Well - that caused no end of problems for people when the State failed to update the code. Hilarity ensued.

I think that the AP Stylebook just was revised to make use of the Oxford comma more or less mandatory.

And NYT is telling most of their copy editors this week to "take the cash deal", their jobs are already gone. As an aside to the topic, and an example of how many people will be checking the AP style guide or need to know it by heart, soon.

The gates at HEF for years (might still have it for all I know) had the default combination for the simplex locks set in them (2 and 4 together, then three).

Leaving out too many commas and other punctuation marks often makes one's writing harder to read, and sometimes obscures meaning.
"Let's eat Grandma." Or even "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Airports I frequent these days use codes that aren't so obvious (or cards that are a PITA to get). I remember them by the shape o_O

Nauga,
tacto-phonetically

And NYT is telling most of their copy editors this week to "take the cash deal", their jobs are already gone. As an aside to the topic, and an example of how many people will be checking the AP style guide or need to know it by heart, soon.
Another reason I am grateful to have chosen a career in technology, leaving my love of proofreading and editing as an avocation.

My airport put in a 10 key pad and assigned everyone individual codes over a year ago. To help everyone in the transition, they also installed a big red button directly beneath the pin pad in case you forgot yours. It's still there and it still works.

Back