CT/Southern MA/Eastern NY Pilots?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by CT-Pilot, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Matthew Rogers

Matthew Rogers Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matt R
    @Arrow3_Dawg My 150 is at KMGJ until it warms back up and the grass dries out. Let me know if you to fill a seat in your plane or mine some day. I would love to start trying out other models. Can’t say my 150 is the most appealing ride, but the economy can’t be beat, and at 165# I am still able to take passengers!

2. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    Fish in the pond, beer in the kegerator, bend in the runway.

Attached Files:

CT-Pilot and Shepherd like this.
  3. Tommar98

Tommar98 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommar98
    I’m from 7B2 in Mass. headed to 44N Saturday for the $300 breakfast run. Any locals have any insight or special issues for me to be aware of. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Matthew Rogers

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matt R
    44N has the cheapest gas around. Runway is up above the valley high on a hill with a rolling surface. Should not be windy at all so no issues there.

Tommar98 likes this.
  5. Matthew Rogers

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matt R
    On another note, is anyone flying to Oshkosh this year? It is my first year as a pilot and am debating the ritual fly and camp. I know the wife will let me have the time as her mother is retiring and dying to babysit more often. If nobody steps up to either fly it in theirs or fill a seat in my plane it will be a long, lonely flight in my 150. And nobody wants to see me lonely, right?
    I guess in that case I could always ask Jerry if he wanted to fly with me. I’ll just make a quick update to my life insurance policy here.....

Tommar98 likes this.
  6. Tommar98

Tommar98 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommar98
    Braver man than me making that trek in a 150. It’s something I want to do when I purchase a plane. Right now working on Ifr checkride

7. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    Nothing special. Here is a photo (not mine!) from a plane on final runway 35. The initial 1/3 or so of 35 is level, then it drops off pretty significantly after that. Unless you plan on chasing the runway down, plan on touching down on or soon after the numbers. There is a turnoff right about where the runway begins to slope down. From that turnoff you need to taxi uphill to one of two visitor's ramps on the right. The lower ramp is for overflow, the self serve fuel farm is on the upper ramp which also has room for some parking, and it abuts the restaurant. The restaurant building is in the barn-red structure visible behind the white house.

This makes it sound too complicated. It is really easy in - easy out. Enjoy! -Skip

upload_2019-3-7_16-3-56.png

8. Tommar98

Tommar98 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommar98
    Thanks. Appreciate the input...especially the slope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mirage00

mirage00 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mirage00
    I miss that airport restaurant! I have to take a taxi into town to eat at their new location.

10. CT-Pilot

CT-Pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drew
    And if it is landing 17, it comes up to meet you due to the slope, so keep that in mind.

11. jspilot

jspilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    jspilot
    44N is a great airport. People have mentioned the things to look out for. It’s also admittedly tough to spot from the air until you’ve been there a bunch. In addition, there is a significant hill to climb to the parking area! Be prepared to be taxing at pretty high RPM’s to get to the parking area! Also, it gets crowded on a nice weekend morning. Best to get there before 9 if possible to guarantee you get a spot to park the plane. I always park in the lower parking area as the upper one can get insane. I’ve watched guys get stuck there waiting for someone to finish breakfast just to be able to be able to get out of the upper parking! No such trouble with the lower parking and it’s only a bit further to walk.

Shepherd and Tommar98 like this.
  12. bkspero

bkspero Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    bkspero
    If you park on the lower ramp it is tempting to walk directly towards the restaurant up the grass covered hill, but they request that you walk around on the taxiways instead.

Tommar98 likes this.
  13. Shepherd

Shepherd En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shepherd
    Better have reliable, working brakes when you come out of the top parking area at 44N, especially if you are taxiing to 17. It's a steep grade to the taxiway then a looong downhill to the end of the runway.

14. FlySince9

FlySince9 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jerry
    I don’t live up that way anymore but have any of you been to 1N7 Blairstown NJ? Used to be a restaurant on the field that was pretty good back in the ‘80’s. I skimmed thru the thread and didn’t see anyone mention it. Looks like it’s about 70 miles from 44N

Hmm... Per ForeFlight, looks like it’s still open...

15. N53KL

N53KL Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kevin
    I have been at 4B8 for about 12 years and have seen a take-over if the airport by the town of Plainville, an extended and repaved runway. In the last 8 years, an approved GPS approach to Rwy 02, new repaved tiedowns (many more drive through spots) and a change of ownership at Interstate Aviation. In the not too distant future, the taxiways will be resurfaced.

So things are looking great for keeping 4B8 vibrant for years to come.

Kevin

16. Gary

Gary En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary
    Been there many times, one of my favorite spots! Seating is limited, so expect a wait if prime time. They do have outside picnic tables when the weather is nice. Good view of the Delaware Water Gap and hiking/biking trail that runs right next to the parking area. Just a small, fairly active GA airport with a nice atmosphere to it. Fair amount of glider activity there which is fun to watch.

Gary

FlySince9 likes this.
  17. CT-Pilot

CT-Pilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drew
    Sounds good - will need to add to my list for lunch destinations.

18. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    Spoken as a Cub Pilot? -Skip :)

19. Shepherd

Shepherd En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shepherd
    Oh yeah.

20. Tommar98

Tommar98 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommar98
    Nice flight in to sky acres yesterday. It is a bit difficult to find the first time but no biggie with runway slopes. Parked in lower lot and was surprised it wasn’t more crowded. Planning on 1N7 next time. Looks like a nice country fly in with restaurant on site.

jspilot likes this.
  21. numl0ck

numl0ck Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Steve
    Late to the party, but I'm based out of WST.
    New England is an amazing place to fly, we are really spoiled here. :D

22. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Another latecomer to the thread... I'm based up at KMPV (Montpelier, VT) but would be up for a fly-in meetup in southern New England some time. (Or up here if that's the choice - I can definitely recommend Basin Harbor (B06) for the environs and the restaurant, but only starting in June or so after the runway dries out after Mud Season.)