CT Angiogram 50% stenosis LAD

A

Anon

Recently I was seen in the ED for palpitations. I was asymptomatic other than a fluttering in my chest. All lab work was normal and I was discharged to follow up with my primary care physician. My physician referred me to a cardiologist who did a stress test (non nuclear) to 85% MHR. The conclusion stated: “there were no symptoms during stress. There were isolated PVCs during stress. Decrease with exercise. There was a normal ST segment and hemodynamic response to stress.

He also did an echocardiogram which was normal and a 24 hour Holter which revealed about 200 PVCs and no other arrhythmias.

During a follow up appointment I told the cardiologist about a four day period in which I felt a subtle chest pressure continuously and unaffected by exercise. He said that my description was non-cardiac, but we discussed other diagnostics to rule out anything worse as I have a family history of heart disease. Grandparents, not parents or siblings.

He recommended a cardiac CT angiogram with calcium scoring. The impressions were:

Calcified plaque involving the left main coronary artery less than 50% luminal narrowing.

Multifocal areas of calcified and non calcified plaque involving the LAD beyond the first diagonal branch resulting in approximately 50% luminal narrowing.

Diminutive appearance of the circumflex artery.

Total calcium score of approximately 41.3 suggesting mild calcified CAD.

My cardiologist is choosing to treat the results with diet, exercise, and a statin. He says that no one would stent that level of narrowing.

My question and confusion is how this scenario fits into the special issuance scenario of the FAA. It seems to be a gray area in which the narrowing is too benign to warrant angioplasty or stenting, yet may be at or above a level of disease that would warrant a special issuance. I require a First Class Medical.

Medical HX: HTN treated with meds.

I require a First Class Medical.
Are you already a revenue pilot?

Or are you seeking to become one and the school you're hitching your training wagon too requires a first class?

Not an AME, but the information might help Dr. Lou or Dr. Bruce when the stop by to provide information.

Dr Bruce is who you should call, especially since you are a revenue pilot. His website spells out how he likes you to contact him if he doesn't respond here, personally I'd make contact via the site. His fee to consult is very reasonable if it gets to that and many pilots, if the case is complicated, will fly to him to have their exam done. In my lay opinion you probably don't have a big issue if handled correctly, but you need an expert's help, Dr Bruce is your man.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

So I happened on this. This is CAD which is symptomatic (palpitations + 4 days of chest pressure) and requires a Nuclear Stress Treadmill. 85% without a nuke doesn't cut it for a revenue aviator. You'll never sell the 4 days of chest discomfort to the FAA. Not in a million years. You need 90% or greater and at least 9 minutes and a negative nuke. They are harder on revenue aviators. If you don't want to have down time, "get 'er done". And get that cholesterol, hypertension, prediabetes, and weight under control.

I HATE the calcium CT. It can only give you the diagnosis, not acquit you. It's a one way street. If you hadn't had the CT Calcium score what would we have advised? "And get that cholesterol, hypertension, prediabetes, and weight under control".

Now you have to go to the next step. I sure hope it's negative. If it's positive, to the Cath lab with you!

Dr Chien, et al, thanks for the thoughtful replies. If the nuclear stress to 90-100% Vmax is negative, is the 50% certifiable without further intervention?

And I agree, the CT Angiogram was a huge mistake. In speaking with another cardiologist he was dumbfounded that it was ordered, explaining that the radiation dose alone was an almost absolute contraindication. And, as you said, we’ve done nothing different treatment wise with the knowledge from the test.

Anyway, thanks again

Bruce, would FAA accept a negative stress echo (to 90% + >9 minutes) in the OP's case? Stress nukes have a well-known significant false positive rate, and that would mean a triple radiation dose for this fellow, in all, if that were to be the outcome.

Bruce, would FAA accept a negative stress echo (to 90% + >9 minutes) in the OP's case? Stress nukes have a well-known significant false positive rate, and that would mean a triple radiation dose for this fellow, in all, if that were to be the outcome.
They do esp in inferior wall lesions in “large” pilots. But in males the false pos rate is lower than in the treadmill alone. We would be doing a lot of caths (check out the dosage!!!) if not for the treadmill nuke.

I usually recommend the stress echo but for this one they want the stress nuclear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back